+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Significant other (Spouse)

nickCR

Feb 28, 2020
Hello all

I see that Canada is urging Canadians to return and can bring their significant other with them.

My wife is Colombian and we have 2 kids born in Costa Rica but they have Canadian passports.

We are debating moving back to Canada this coming week due to covid19 and concerns for our safety as the economic situation deteriorates.

I'm not clear on a couple things and wanted to know

- once we arrive in Canada what are the conditions for her stay?
- how long can she stay?
- does she have to apply the same way (sponsorship etc)?

Fully understand that we would have to self quarantine but that's not a problem!

Thank you in advance.

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Hello all

I see that Canada is urging Canadians to return and can bring their significant other with them.

My wife is Colombian and we have 2 kids born in Costa Rica but they have Canadian passports.

We are debating moving back to Canada this coming week due to covid19 and concerns for our safety as the economic situation deteriorates.

- how long can she stay?

Fully understand that we would have to self quarantine but that's not a problem!

Thank you in advance.
Does your wife have Canadian PR? If not, does she already have a TRV? Would start there.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Also not sure exatcly where you are but have you also checked flights given most arlines are cancelling their schedules so even getting to Canada may not be that easy for net few months

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all

- how long can she stay?

Thank you in advance.
Provided she already has a TRV or can get an approved TRV, you can sponsor her for PR through the inland process as your spouse once you arrived in Canada. This process will likely take about a year and she can remain in Canada while the application is processed.

nickCR

Feb 28, 2020
Hello All,

She already holds a multi entry visitor Visa and we have visited several times before.

We aren't sure what's going to happen and feel it would be better to at least return for a bit to Canada.

Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

She already holds a multi entry visitor Visa and we have visited several times before.

We aren't sure what's going to happen and feel it would be better to at least return for a bit to Canada.

Thanks!
In that case you are all good to travel. I would look at booking something soon. I think Colombia has announced an upcoming stop to international flights.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will have to plan to go from the airport to quarantine for 14 days. You will have to find your own location to quarantine yourselves.