+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Sick relative and moving to Canada

Tamara165g

May 5, 2023
Over the past 8 years, I have been struggling with going back and forth between the UK and Canada. My brother, unfortunately, has severe mental health issues, and there are times when he is missing and I have to travel to Canada to find him and care for him.

Is there any visa route through which I can move there? Our grandmother passed away a few years ago, and he doesn't have anyone else there as he's estranged our Dad due to his condition. I have a career and I could work in Canada, and I'm due to go and care for him in 2 weeks again. I'm tired of being worried and feeling like I'm too far away. Any suggestions?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Over the past 8 years, I have been struggling with going back and forth between the UK and Canada. My brother, unfortunately, has severe mental health issues, and there are times when he is missing and I have to travel to Canada to find him and care for him.

Is there any visa route through which I can move there? Our grandmother passed away a few years ago, and he doesn't have anyone else there as he's estranged our Dad due to his condition. I have a career and I could work in Canada, and I'm due to go and care for him in 2 weeks again. I'm tired of being worried and feeling like I'm too far away. Any suggestions?
How old are you? You need to look at immigration programs or look at a work permit with LMIA if you want to live and work in Canada. It is based on your age, education, skilled work experience, language and funds.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship.html

Does your brother have an income high enough for to you be hired as his full time caregiver? Has he tried to hire a caregiver?

Tamara165g

May 5, 2023
How old are you? You need to look at immigration programs or look at a work permit with LMIA if you want to live and work in Canada. It is based on your age, education, skilled work experience, language and funds.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship.html

Does your brother have an income high enough for to you be hired as his full time caregiver? Has he tried to hire a caregiver?
Thanks for responding. I was looking into the Federal Skilled Worker Program and I will be completing my IELTS soon and I have already completed my WES. I previously looked into International Experience Canada (IEC) but was never selected and I will be turning 31 soon. Also given my brother health his income fluctuates, he earned 80,00 CAD in the previous year and but he has been inconsistent between 2022-23 therefore his income is significantly lower.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for responding. I was looking into the Federal Skilled Worker Program and I will be completing my IELTS soon and I have already completed my WES. I previously looked into International Experience Canada (IEC) but was never selected and I will be turning 31 soon. Also given my brother health his income fluctuates, he earned 80,00 CAD in the previous year and but he has been inconsistent between 2022-23 therefore his income is significantly lower.
What is your education? NOC? Assume you are eligible for EE but you need a very high score. Look at PNP programs but you need to move to the province you are nominated.

To be eligible to apply for his caregiver, he needs to have an income that supports himself and your full-time income at a median wage for the region he lives in. You can look at the HCCP program and look at requirements.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If he is earning 80k then his mental illness must be somewhat under control for at least certain periods of time. The fact that your father does live in Canada means that there are already family members in Canada so he isn’t technically alone. Does he have other family in Canada? It may be very difficult to claim you need get PR based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds given that he has family and he has earned a decent income at least recently. Is your brother a UK citizen as well as a Canadian citizen or PR? Is this a new issue or has this been a longterm condition? Has he been hospitalized for the mental illness? How many times have you come to Canada per year in recent years? Have you looked to see if you qualify for express entry programs? How many degrees do you have and what field do you work in? Does your current employer have offices in Canada?

Tamara165g

May 5, 2023
What is your education? NOC? Assume you are eligible for EE but you need a very high score. Look at PNP programs but you need to move to the province you are nominated.

To be eligible to apply for his caregiver, he needs to have an income that supports himself and your full-time income at a median wage for the region he lives in. You can look at the HCCP program and look at requirements.
Work in policy research development and my degree is Economics. I previous worked investment middle office/ front office support. My brother earned 80k two years ago. His income has been extremely low for after this and the pandemic made his condition even worse. I’m looking at the province nomination process.

Tamara165g

May 5, 2023
If he is earning 80k then his mental illness must be somewhat under control for at least certain periods of time. The fact that your father does live in Canada means that there are already family members in Canada so he isn’t technically alone. Does he have other family in Canada? It may be very difficult to claim you need get PR based on humanitarian and compassionate grounds given that he has family and he has earned a decent income at least recently. Is your brother a UK citizen as well as a Canadian citizen or PR? Is this a new issue or has this been a longterm condition? Has he been hospitalized for the mental illness? How many times have you come to Canada per year in recent years? Have you looked to see if you qualify for express entry programs? How many degrees do you have and what field do you work in? Does your current employer have offices in Canada?
No other relative in Canada our grandparents passed away and my dad is an only child. My brother isn’t a British citizen because his mother wasn’t but he was born in Canada. He’s always in and out of the mental hospital normally when I cannot find him he’s either there or I simple cannot find him. He was diagnosed 8 years ago at the time my grandparents were still around and reported unusual behaviour and father suspected mental health issues. I travel and went to a doctor appointment with him and they diagnosed him with schizophrenia. He was kicked out and experience family exclusion.

I qualify for the express entry program. I have BSc Economics. My current company is a government organisation therefore no offices in Canada. In the last 12 months period I have been to Canada twice the next couple of weeks will be my third.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
No other relative in Canada our grandparents passed away and my dad is an only child. My brother isn’t a British citizen because his mother wasn’t but he was born in Canada. He’s always in and out of the mental hospital normally when I cannot find him he’s either there or I simple cannot find him. He was diagnosed 8 years ago at the time my grandparents were still around and reported unusual behaviour and father suspected mental health issues. I travel and went to a doctor appointment with him and they diagnosed him with schizophrenia. He was kicked out and experience family exclusion.

I qualify for the express entry program. I have BSc Economics. My current company is a government organisation therefore no offices in Canada. In the last 12 months period I have been to Canada twice the next couple of weeks will be my third.
I am so sorry. You are trying to help him and his Canadian family seems to be of no support. So his parents are Canadian, not British?

You may qualify for Express Entry but with a Bsc, you probably do not have enough points unless fluent in French. So your options are:

a. Immigrate through Express Entry but you need to increase points (eg. learn French)
b. Look at the PNP program in the province where he lives
b. come study in Canada - do a masters but that doesn't guarantee PR and is expensive
c. LMIA - find an employer who will file a LMIA so you can apply for a closed work permit
d. HCCP program but your brother needs to be making a lot of money to support himself and pay you a full-time, caregiver salary.

Tamara165g

May 5, 2023
I am so sorry. You are trying to help him and his Canadian family seems to be of no support. So his parents are Canadian, not British?

You may qualify for Express Entry but with a Bsc, you probably do not have enough points unless fluent in French. So your options are:

a. Immigrate through Express Entry but you need to increase points (eg. learn French)
b. Look at the PNP program in the province where he lives
b. come study in Canada - do a masters but that doesn't guarantee PR and is expensive
c. LMIA - find an employer who will file a LMIA so you can apply for a closed work permit
d. HCCP program but your brother needs to be making a lot of money to support himself and pay you a full-time, caregiver salary.
My mother is British (my Dad’s first wife) my brother’s mother was Cuban (my Dad’s second wife). When I was a child my parents divorced my Dad move to Canada to join his parents who move there on some form of work program. My father is a naturalise Canadian and during the time of having him getting his PR he got married and had my brother who was born there. My brother is not British and due to his condition won’t be able to move here permanently. Furthermore priority is always given to partners, dependants and parents, not siblings.

Even my own mother who has no relation to him has try to help. The issue is many years ago my dad try apply for family sponsorship for me as a child but it was rejected because when he was going to Canada he never add me to his application. As a result I deemed not being apart of his family class. That wasn’t an issue because I live in England but now with my father excluding my brother and him being older it’s more apparent that my brother is really alone. Point A & B are currently my options. I’m assuming that finding a LMIA will be difficult. Haha I feel like I told my life story.

Tamara165g

May 5, 2023
I have been sent an
I removed some of my earlier message due too much information. I have receive ITA invite for IEC. For some odd reason I didn't remember that I had already submitted application through one of those travel program organisations. Fingers crossed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My mother is British (my Dad’s first wife) my brother’s mother was Cuban (my Dad’s second wife). When I was a child my parents divorced my Dad move to Canada to join his parents who move there on some form of work program. My father is a naturalise Canadian and during the time of having him getting his PR he got married and had my brother who was born there. My brother is not British and due to his condition won’t be able to move here permanently. Furthermore priority is always given to partners, dependants and parents, not siblings.

Even my own mother who has no relation to him has try to help. The issue is many years ago my dad try apply for family sponsorship for me as a child but it was rejected because when he was going to Canada he never add me to his application. As a result I deemed not being apart of his family class. That wasn’t an issue because I live in England but now with my father excluding my brother and him being older it’s more apparent that my brother is really alone. Point A & B are currently my options. I’m assuming that finding a LMIA will be difficult. Haha I feel like I told my life story.
Would personally try for IEC again. That is probably the easiest option. Express entry is probably your other best option. H&C is not a guarantee of PR and you may be waiting a year for a result while not being able to work.