+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I withdraw the Citizenship application?

HDang

Dec 19, 2013
Hi,

I'm so stressed lately to see whether I should withdraw from Canadian citizenship. Please give me some advises.

My husband and I applied for Canadian citizenship since July 2011. We left Canada and stayed in VN since Dec 2011 since our parents were sick and very weak. So, we've been 2 years absent from Canada.
In June 2013 they asked my husband for finger print and he did send the paper based finger print in June 2013. We called cic and they said it could take up to a year to process the finger print.
- If we could be lucky enough to get to the citizenship test in a year, for sure they would ask for RQ. So, within 4 years from 2011 to 2014, I stayed in Canada only for 1 year and in VN for 3 years. Do we meet the RQ? Will they refuse our case?
- Secondly, my husband wants to withdraw from application since he needs more time in VN to take care of his parents while wants me and my kids to go back Canada. He'll join later. Do you think cic will make any trouble if only me continue with the application?
- Since my PR card expires in April 2014, i'll need to extend while my Canadian citizenship application is under processes, I don't want to go back Canada as visitor (pay high health insurance, no benefits, etc). I would hope to get the Canadian citizenship first, then permanently stay in Canada.
- Is it true that if PR is expired, you can renew it after 10-15 years whenever you need?

Thanks and desperately wait for your kind response,

Vienna

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - it is definitely not true that if PR is expired, you can renew it after 10-15 years whenever you need it. To keep your PR status, you must live in Canada 2 out of every 5 rolling years.

In short - until you become a citizen, you and your husband must both make sure that you live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years. Otherwise you can forget about both your PR status and citizenship.