+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I renew my Permanent residency

Ventorro

Star Member
May 16, 2017
Hi guys, I applied for Citizenship in February.

My Pr expires in June.

My question is should I apply for Permanent residency extension?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014

My Pr expires in June.

Permanent Residency doesn't expire. PR card expires. You do not need a valid PR card for as long as you don't intend to travel outside Canada. You can take oath with an expired PR card.

That being said, you do need to maintain the minimum requirements to hold your PR status in Canada.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
It's your PR card that expires in June, not your PR.

You'll have to renew the card only if you need to leave the country.

Ventorro

Star Member
May 16, 2017
Okay thanks you guys.

I'm taking that usually it takes 6 months for Citizenship processing to through?

razerblade

VIP Member
Feb 21, 2014
Okay thanks you guys.

I'm taking that usually it takes 6 months for Citizenship processing to through?
Depends where your file will be processed. Please refer to the spreadsheet (link in my signature) for averages per month for your location. Can take 6-12 months or more from start to finish.

btbt

Feb 26, 2018

My Pr expires in June.

If there is any chance (family illness, urgent business travel,...) you need to travel before your citizenship application completes (which most likely but not certainly will complete within 12 months after AOR) you should apply for a new PR card.

Okay thanks you guys.

That's not how it works.

IRCC's service standard says that 80% of all applications for a grant of citizenship will get a decision made within 12 months after AOR. It can then still take more time to get a citizenship ceremony. If your application becomes non-routine (because you missed a test or because IRCC asked for additional information) processing can take longer still.

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Just wanted to add to the responses above.
If you choose not to renew your PR card but have to travel, there is the option of a temporary travel document that can be issued by a Canadian consulate/embassy to enable your return back to Canada. The only problem with a temporary travel document is that we must carry all the supporting documents required for the application and there may be a delay depending on the embassy location (you will have to wait for the embassy to process your document before eyiu can plan your return trip).
COPR can be used to return by land from the United States.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
The PRTD can only be applied for from out of country, no? Better to just renew your PR card as it costs the same, requires the same basic info, and carries less risk.

Reactions: vasvas

toosi

Mar 12, 2018

My Pr expires in June.

If there is even a chance of travelling, I recommend renewing your PR card. It's not expensive, the required docs are basic and it is always safe to have a valid PR card

btbt

Feb 26, 2018
Yes, the PRTD can only be applied for from out of country. There is no fixed processing time, so you may be stuck there for a while (without a passport, as you have to send that in). And it'll only be valid for one trip back to Canada, except for people who live outside of Canada with their Canadian spouse (or employed by the Crown or similar) who can request a multiple entry PRTD.

Reactions: vasvas

vasvas

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
The PRTD can only be applied for from out of country, no? Better to just renew your PR card as it costs the same, requires the same basic info, and carries less risk.
Yes. I was just saying that could be an option if OP chooses to not get a new PR card but has to travel in an emergency. Personally I would apply for a new PR card as it avoids the hassles of a PRTD as btbt mentions (apply from outside the country, every embassy/ consulate process at different speeds etc.) but the PRTD should be known as a valid plan B.