+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should I register for MSP if stay is short after getting PR. Shall it cost?

ch_mujeeb

Oct 10, 2013
Hi

I (along with my wife and kids) shall land in Vancouver as a new immigrant in Aug. After fulfilling landing formalities and getting my PR card I shall be back to my country (in approx 2 months )and will go back to Canada to settle permanently after 2 years.

My question is

From BC website, it is clear that MSP is not free so should I register for MSP. If I register, shall I have to pay even though I shall not be in Canada ( @ $121 per month for two years during which we will be in our home country)

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
ch_mujeeb said:
Hi

I (along with my wife and kids) shall land in Vancouver as a new immigrant in Aug. After fulfilling landing formalities and getting my PR card I shall be back to my country (in approx 2 months )and will go back to Canada to settle permanently after 2 years.

My question is

From BC website, it is clear that MSP is not free so should I register for MSP. If I register, shall I have to pay even though I shall not be in Canada ( @ $121 per month for two years during which we will be in our home country)
No need to register. MSP is only paid when living in BC. There is no benefit for you paying $121 per month and not living in BC. And anyway, you have to wait 3 months from the day of your landing til you can apply for MSP..