+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should i apply for my child's Canadian citizenship?

sam.shah

Apr 12, 2018
Hello,

I have a question... My child was born in Pakistan and i am a Pakistani citizen. My husband sponsored me and my son 1 year back. We both are Permanent residents now and my husband became Citizen 3 months back. My question is that should I apply for son's citizenship since the father is citizen now or the son automatically became citizen after that?

Any response would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

shahmad

Star Member
Jan 12, 2015
Hello,

I have a question... My child was born in Pakistan and i am a Pakistani citizen. My husband sponsored me and my son 1 year back. We both are Permanent residents now and my husband became Citizen 3 months back. My question is that should I apply for son's citizenship since the father is citizen now or the son automatically became citizen after that?

Any response would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Your son doesn't have to wait to complete residency requirements like you. Your husband can immediately apply for his citizenship.

Reactions: sam.shah

sam.shah

Apr 12, 2018
Thank you for your replies. So, it means my son would become a citizen as soon as we apply but for me i will have to apply once i complete 3 years of stay in Canada.

One more question please..
How much time of process will it take once we apply for our son?

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
Thank you for your replies. So, it means my son would become a citizen as soon as we apply but for me i will have to apply once i complete 3 years of stay in Canada.

One more question please..
Your son is qualified for Canadian citizenship and can apply anytime (no 3 year residence requirement needed) since he has a Canadian father. He is not Canadian just because you submitted the application. The child is not Canadian until after the whole process is complete. Meanwhile, you will have to complete 3 years minimum stay in Canada before you are qualified for citizenship yourself.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
IRCC says that the procedure for a grant of citizenship takes up to 12 months.
However, most people get their citizenship way faster than this.

And since that delay includes the citizenship test, the background checks, and other stuff that doesn't apply to your kid, I'd say that it shouldn't take more than a few months.