+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Should COPR to be shared with Realtor??????

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
Hi Guys, I am looking to rent and got in touch with a realtor. Since I am new and don't have my PR card yet, the realtor asked me to submit (scans) of my COPR, Passport, proof of funds, form 410 via email.

I just want to understand if this is a normal practice and is safe? I don't want to go ahead sharing my docs with strangers....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Guys, I am looking to rent and got in touch with a realtor. Since I am new and don't have my PR card yet, the realtor asked me to submit (scans) of my COPR, Passport, proof of funds, form 410 via email.

I just want to understand if this is a normal practice and is safe? I don't want to go ahead sharing my docs with strangers....
No I wouldn't give access to all these documents. In Canada many of the rentals aren't listed with real estate agents. What are you trying to rent and in what budget? What city?

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
No I wouldn't give access to all these documents. In Canada many of the rentals aren't listed with real estate agents. What are you trying to rent and in what budget? What city?
I am sure about the credibility of the realtor. I am just concerned about sharing my docs to every other landlord or agent.

Should I still send the docs? I need to get my file made for applying for rentals..... Is this a standard procedure?

How do I safeguard myself?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am sure about the credibility of the realtor. I am just concerned about sharing my docs to every other landlord or agent.

Should I still send the docs? I need to get my file made for applying for rentals..... Is this a standard procedure?

How do I safeguard myself?
Credit check or proof of funds, some sort of proof of identity is pretty standard but not immigration documents. Realtors typically only deal with high end rentals in Canada. Other countries have realtors that specialize in rentals which is not really the case in Canada. Many apartment building owners or private owners run their own application process. A realtor will likely only show you listings where the owner will agree to pay them a fee (1 month rent typically). You will only see a fraction of rentals if you use a realtor.

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
Credit check or proof of funds, some sort of proof of identity is pretty standard but not immigration documents. Realtors typically only deal with high end rentals in Canada. Other countries have realtors that specialize in rentals which is not really the case in Canada. Many apartment building owners or private owners run their own application process. A realtor will likely only show you listings where the owner will agree to pay them a fee (1 month rent typically). You will only see a fraction of rentals if you use a realtor.
So, I can give my proof of funds doc.... COPR even I am not sure.... Yet to receive my PR card..... I would have shared that otherwise.

Pls advice

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So, I can give my proof of funds doc.... COPR even I am not sure.... Yet to receive my PR card..... I would have shared that otherwise.

Pls advice
Would no give any immigration documents. What is your budget? For higher end rentals the realtor may need to do financial preapprovals but other than that most do not give credit check or financial proof until they apply to rent a home.

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
Would no give any immigration documents. What is your budget? For higher end rentals the realtor may need to do financial preapprovals but other than that most do not give credit check or financial proof until they apply to rent a home.
I have a budget of 2k pm... But I am new to Canada and don't have a job YET... Can my COPR data be misused?

what if I hide some of the details like my application no. and UCI ??? Pls advice

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have a budget of 2k pm... But I am new to Canada and don't have a job YET... Can my COPR data be misused?

what if I hide some of the details like my application no. and UCI ??? Pls advice
Would not share your COPR. There is no need to share that information. What type of housing are you looking for? What city?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What about my Indian Passport???? I am looking for condo in downtown Toronto.
Would also be looking at places like kijiji and make sure you only sign a deal with a realtor that allows you to also look for a rental independently without paying a commission. You are at an entry level price point so many landlords don't want to pay a realtor commission and list their condo privately. Make sure to ask for proof that they own the property to avoid scams. A realtor is unlikely to show you a listing where the owner is unwilling to pay a commission. The market is a bit crazy at the moment so you may be able to negotiate a slight discount in the rent depending on the advertised rent on a downtown condo and there is availability. That is usually not the case. In terms of ID a passport is fine. Some landlords may not want to rent to yo if you're unemployed but given the higher vacancy rates landlords have to be a bit more flexible. You will likely have to prove that you have the savings to cover rent for quit a while if you can't find employment.

Agastya

Nov 29, 2017
Would also be looking at places like kijiji and make sure you only sign a deal with a realtor that allows you to also look for a rental independently without paying a commission. You are at an entry level price point so many landlords don't want to pay a realtor commission and list their condo privately. Make sure to ask for proof that they own the property to avoid scams. A realtor is unlikely to show you a listing where the owner is unwilling to pay a commission. The market is a bit crazy at the moment so you may be able to negotiate a slight discount in the rent depending on the advertised rent on a downtown condo and there is availability. That is usually not the case. In terms of ID a passport is fine. Some landlords may not want to rent to yo if you're unemployed but given the higher vacancy rates landlords have to be a bit more flexible. You will likely have to prove that you have the savings to cover rent for quit a while if you can't find employment.
Thanks a tonnn