+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Short Hearing

Hellodear1

Apr 16, 2019
Hi,

Today we receive letter from IRB for short hearing. It also says the member may decide without hearing if the time is passed.

Please advise if they can decide without hearing and when can we expect that. Also if anyone can advise how long the short hearing lasts.

Thanks you in advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Today we receive letter from IRB for short hearing. It also says the member may decide without hearing if the time is passed.

Please advise if they can decide without hearing and when can we expect that. Also if anyone can advise how long the short hearing lasts.

Thanks you in advance
Yes the is a newish process in the hopes to process people more quickly. It can still be many many months until you will hear about your case just faster than the 1-2 years like other asylum seekers.

RiazAl

Jul 27, 2019
Hi
I'm in a same situation.
I received a letter around a month ago and they gave me a hearing date for October 23rd 2019.
In that letter it is also stated that my case might be considered a less complex case and they may decide without a hearing.
Can anyone tell me what are the chances that they skip the hearing and give me a decision?
Another lady that came from my country (with the same case and lawyer as me) got accepted without a hearing around 2 months ago. We were both part of a same group that got threatened by the Iranian government for Apostasy and had to leave Iran. So basically our cases are exatly the same.
She got the positive decision but I got a short hearing date with the possibility to be considered as a less comolex case.
Can someone explain to me what are the odds?
Also, is it possible that they reject a case without a hearing?
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi
I'm in a same situation.
I received a letter around a month ago and they gave me a hearing date for October 23rd 2019.
In that letter it is also stated that my case might be considered a less complex case and they may decide without a hearing.
Can anyone tell me what are the chances that they skip the hearing and give me a decision?
Another lady that came from my country (with the same case and lawyer as me) got accepted without a hearing around 2 months ago. We were both part of a same group that got threatened by the Iranian government for Apostasy and had to leave Iran. So basically our cases are exatly the same.
She got the positive decision but I got a short hearing date with the possibility to be considered as a less comolex case.
Can someone explain to me what are the odds?
Also, is it possible that they reject a case without a hearing?
Thanks
Depending on when you entered Canada an October hearing date is very fast and you should still be pleased. Every case is slightly different and everyone’s history is different so it is too hard to compare.

RiazAl

Jul 27, 2019
I entered Canada in Dec 2018 and applied mid January.
Yes it's very fast and I'm very pleased and thankful. I was told it could take up to 2 or 3 years until the hearing date, but I'm getting it after almost 10 months.
I'm just curious about this decision without hearing and want to know if they can/will also reject cases without hearing?

Hellodear1

Apr 16, 2019
Yes it is very good question " if decision is possible without hearing and how"? Senior members please help. I think they will never reject without hearing.

RiazAl

Jul 27, 2019
I think the same. I read on a website that they never reject without an actual hearing. They might accept but for rejection they give the person(s) involved a chance to defend their claims.
I really dont care about the time either and I know that I'm not entitled to anything.
If it happens faster, I'm thankful.

arcanerk

May 6, 2017
Can anybody tell me how to determine if one person is eligible for short hearing ?

Can we check it online or through calling IRB ?

I am asking this because my lawyer took legaid Aid money. I applied my refugee case on March 2018 last year and now my lawyer says me to pay him 2000 dollars and he will apply for my short hearing process. He says, if you are selected for it I will take 2000 Dollars otherwise, I wont take any money.

Please help.

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can anybody tell me how to determine if one person is eligible for short hearing ?

Can we check it online or through calling IRB ?

I am asking this because my lawyer took legaid Aid money. I applied my refugee case on March 2018 last year and now my lawyer says me to pay him 2000 dollars and he will apply for my short hearing process. He says, if you are selected for it I will take 2000 Dollars otherwise, I wont take any money.

Please help.

Thanks.
IRB will contact you if you qualify for a short hearing. Not sure what is going on with your legal aid lawyer. Are you in Ontario? Think they maybe saying that you’d have to pay if they have to do any additional work because the work is no longer covered by legal aid. If not he/she is asking you to pay when they are being already paid by legal aid that is wrong.

arcanerk

May 6, 2017
I already submitted my case. However I have not submitted my documents yet to IRB. The lawyer says when we submit our documents after some days, he will also put a special request for short hearing or fast track hearing. And this is why he was asking for 2000 dollars.

Someone else told me that you dont need any special request or form to fill to tell IRB to check your eligibility under less complex case. If you qualifty, they will automatically contact you. is this Correct ?

Or in any case can I call IRB or immigration officer or any case worker to check my status ?

Thank you for your help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I already submitted my case. However I have not submitted my documents yet to IRB. The lawyer says when we submit our documents after some days, he will also put a special request for short hearing or fast track hearing. And this is why he was asking for 2000 dollars.

Someone else told me that you dont need any special request or form to fill to tell IRB to check your eligibility under less complex case. If you qualifty, they will automatically contact you. is this Correct ?

Or in any case can I call IRB or immigration officer or any case worker to check my status ?

Thank you for your help.
The lawyer is just trying to get more money from you. IRCC sorts the various files and determines which qualify for short processing time. Not sure why you are waiting to submit documents to IRB unless this is new information to add to your case.

arcanerk

May 6, 2017
I am gonna submit my documents. My lawyer initially said we will file documents later. Now after a year I can see he is trying to get more money.

Can I change my legal aid lawyer. I do not like the behavior and the way he is dealing me. I know I will have to pay for the other lawyer.

Does it make any impact on my case ? I can pay my new lawyer but I am wondering if IRB will ask me questions why I have changed my lawer ?

Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I am gonna submit my documents. My lawyer initially said we will file documents later. Now after a year I can see he is trying to get more money.

Can I change my legal aid lawyer. I do not like the behavior and the way he is dealing me. I know I will have to pay for the other lawyer.

Does it make any impact on my case ? I can pay my new lawyer but I am wondering if IRB will ask me questions why I have changed my lawer ?

Thanks.
Sure you can change to a private immigration lawyer. Not an unusual situation.