+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping items

nour2010

Jan 28, 2018
Hi all,

I have multiple questions on shipping some personal belongings to Canada and I need some help based on your experiences.

- In the Personal Effects Accounting Document, there are multiple classification types and I need help knowing what category I fall under. I landed 2 years back and didn't get any of the forms stamped because I was staying for a short time. They told me I should do that next time I come. I am now shifting for good so in the classification types, am I "a settler" or "a former resident"?

- Should I submit the Personal Effects Document or is this something the officer or I will fill up in the airport based on a simple itemized list that I will create in a table format?

Please help because I am so confused.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi all,

I have multiple questions on shipping some personal belongings to Canada and I need some help based on your experiences.

- In the Personal Effects Accounting Document, there are multiple classification types and I need help knowing what category I fall under. I landed 2 years back and didn't get any of the forms stamped because I was staying for a short time. They told me I should do that next time I come. I am now shifting for good so in the classification types, am I "a settler" or "a former resident"?

- Should I submit the Personal Effects Document or is this something the officer or I will fill up in the airport based on a simple itemized list that I will create in a table format?

Please help because I am so confused.
If this is the first time that you are setting up a home in Canada, for an expected period of at least one year, you are a "settler", not a returning resident. You should prepare the forms.

Be aware that some CBSA agents do not understand the correct interpretation of the legislation and may refuse to accept the B4/BSF186 so long after landing as a PR. You may need to involve a senior officer if that happens.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

nour2010

Jan 28, 2018
If this is the first time that you are setting up a home in Canada, for an expected period of at least one year, you are a "settler", not a returning resident. You should prepare the forms.
so in the classification types when I select settler, the form says I arrive to Canada on.... Is this the date I first landed or the date I will settle permanently?

The shipping company are saying I must bring a proof I didn't live in Canada for this period. Is this true?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
so in the classification types when I select settler, the form says I arrive to Canada on.... Is this the date I first landed or the date I will settle permanently?

The shipping company are saying I must bring a proof I didn't live in Canada for this period. Is this true?
As far as I am aware, the date is the date that you entered to settle permanently, not your PR landing date.

Proof would be helpful but in my case, was never asked for, either by the shipping agent or by the CBSA.

nour2010

Jan 28, 2018
As far as I am aware, the date is the date that you entered to settle permanently, not your PR landing date.

Proof would be helpful but in my case, was never asked for, either by the shipping agent or by the CBSA.

So how did you explain to CBSA?

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hi there! Can I please ask how this turned out? I'm also shipping my items from UK to Canada and filling up the form as a settler, and for the date I arrive - this should be the date I am planning to arrive in Canada right? Will this form be held by me or sent away to the shipping company?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016