+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping company won’t ship my belongings without visa?

Hansluo

Feb 4, 2020
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone else has experience around this...

I’ve been approved for an IEC Work Holiday Visa, which will only be issued once I arrive in Canada.

My shipping company Anglo Pacific won’t accept my letter of approval/acceptance and are saying that they need the full visa otherwise Canada Customs won’t clear it.

We were planning to ship it now and arrive in Vancouver early April as we need a lot of the items in there and shipping can take 2-3 months.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Hans

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Sorry, I have had no experience with this but want to throw in a comment:

An IEC is still a temporary visa, you're not really supposed to be moving and establishing yourself permanently in Canada on it. You may qualify for PR based on your Canadian work experience, but I'm not sure what to do in your case.

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi guys,

Wondering if anyone else has experience around this...

I’ve been approved for an IEC Work Holiday Visa, which will only be issued once I arrive in Canada.

My shipping company Anglo Pacific won’t accept my letter of approval/acceptance and are saying that they need the full visa otherwise Canada Customs won’t clear it.

We were planning to ship it now and arrive in Vancouver early April as we need a lot of the items in there and shipping can take 2-3 months.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks,
Hans
The issue really is that until you arrive if all you have is a POE letter, you do not have a work permit or authority to stay in Canada until you complete a landing and CBSA issue your work permit subject to meeting the IEC conditions.

If you do not meet the latter, insurance and funds there is always the remote chance your IEC work permit could be refused at the border.

So bottom line until you arrive and successfully land with a work permit issued you have no legal status in Canada hence I would suspect the shipping companies reluctance.

Note by approved do you mean only your application has been approved or do you actually have the POE letter and the shipping company is not accepting that.

Last edited: