+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Shipping Boxes/Luggage from US to Canada

ss0592

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
Hi Guys,

I am moving to Toronto very soon from Boston. I'm quite confused on how to take some stuff with me there. I DO NOT have any furniture to take along. Just clothes, some kitchen stuff etc. I was thinking either a medium box or 1-2 luggage bags. What are my options? I have been hearing conflicting opinions on UPS and USPS.

I don't want to use relocube or anything like that because I don't have that much stuff. I was considering just paying excess baggage on my flight but since I'm traveling solo, handling so many bags will be difficult. What would be a good shipping option? And approx how much can I expect to pay both for this + for any customs/duty etc.

Thanks so much!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Guys,

I am moving to Toronto very soon from Boston. I'm quite confused on how to take some stuff with me there. I DO NOT have any furniture to take along. Just clothes, some kitchen stuff etc. I was thinking either a medium box or 1-2 luggage bags. What are my options? I have been hearing conflicting opinions on UPS and USPS.

I don't want to use relocube or anything like that because I don't have that much stuff. I was considering just paying excess baggage on my flight but since I'm traveling solo, handling so many bags will be difficult. What would be a good shipping option? And approx how much can I expect to pay both for this + for any customs/duty etc.

Thanks so much!
Try to take the expensive items with you in the luggage bags when you fly and the non-important stuff like clothes or kitchen stuff you can put them in a medium box and ship it. Anything is fine as long as you buy insurance and have a tracking number.

try this if it suits you : https://www.easyship.com/blog/cheapest-way-to-ship-to-canada#shipping-to-canada-what-you-need-to-know

ss0592

Star Member
Dec 22, 2017
Thanks! Have you or anyone used services like send my bag? It ships suitcase to your destination - price and timing looks great. But I've never heard of them before so unsure.

phoenix800

May 20, 2018
Moved 2 months ago and used ship smart. The most important thing to note is no matter who you use to move your items, it's best if those items reach after you have landed. When you land, you are directed towards goods to follow clearance where you submit your goods to follow form. If the goods reach before you do, you would need to add a secondary person to receive the items which complicates the whole process.

Additionally, there's a good chance no matter which company you use your items will first go to bond and be held there. You might need to go to the appropriate clearance department probably in the airport after your items reach Canada and show them the form you had gotten signed and stamped after landing. Every day they hold your items in bond they charge you a fee so try to stay on top of it as soon as you land.