+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Settlement

BOLLENENI

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Chennai.Tamilnadu,India
Category........
Other
We are travelling on 2nd June to Toronto, Need an information. Being S. Indians we eat Ponni boiled rice Will it be available there or I have to carry 2kgs , will the gas stove will be as good in India, Can we carry an Induction stove, what is the voltage there, will be grateful if someone shed some light. Thanks in advance

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We are travelling on 2nd June to Toronto, Need an information. Being S. Indians we eat Ponni boiled rice Will it be available there or I have to carry 2kgs , will the gas stove will be as good in India, Can we carry an Induction stove, what is the voltage there, will be grateful if someone shed some light. Thanks in advance
There are many Indian/Asian groceries in Toronto, and even mainstream grocers tend to carry at least some 'ethnic' food. Search internet with the things you're looking for and Toronto in the search term and you'll get some idea of what's available (almost everything if you look hard enough). Anyway surely for rice not an issue unless extremely rare type.

You can get a portable induction burner for a bit over $100 Canadian. Gas stoves are ... well, normal gas stoves, are they particularly amazing in India?

Canada/USA are on 120v, your heavier appliances mostly will not work, and converting them is almost always pointless. Generally, appliances that have physical motors or heating elements usually can't operate under both types, they're made for one or the other (ie. 220v as in India/Europe or 120v). Also older electrical appliances generally won't work.

For smaller appliances that don't draw much power, you can get voltage transformers - but personally I think they suck and it's not worth it. (And if frequency is important, the adapters don't fix that)

"Digital" type things often can run off either type voltage - phones, computers, things that work off internal rechargeable batteries - and have 'switching' supplies. If so, they will be marked somewhere near the power supply/back panel that they can run off eg 100-240v 50/60Hz.

Of course, even those will need simple plug adapters, but those cost a dollar or so each.

Electronic stuff with those wall-wart power supplies: they're running DC internally and often the wall-wart can be swapped out for a localized one (if the wall-wart doesn't work off both 120 and 220v.

But there are exceptions - not all digital stuff can work on both voltages - so it is important to check - some things used on wrong voltage will fail in dangerous ways.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Maybe it is time to explore other cultures what food is concerned. After all, you move to Canada.. Poutine is nice

BOLLENENI

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Chennai.Tamilnadu,India
Category........
Other
There are many Indian/Asian groceries in Toronto, and even mainstream grocers tend to carry at least some 'ethnic' food. Search internet with the things you're looking for and Toronto in the search term and you'll get some idea of what's available (almost everything if you look hard enough). Anyway surely for rice not an issue unless extremely rare type.

You can get a portable induction burner for a bit over $100 Canadian. Gas stoves are ... well, normal gas stoves, are they particularly amazing in India?

Canada/USA are on 120v, your heavier appliances mostly will not work, and converting them is almost always pointless. Generally, appliances that have physical motors or heating elements usually can't operate under both types, they're made for one or the other (ie. 220v as in India/Europe or 120v). Also older electrical appliances generally won't work.

For smaller appliances that don't draw much power, you can get voltage transformers - but personally I think they suck and it's not worth it. (And if frequency is important, the adapters don't fix that)

"Digital" type things often can run off either type voltage - phones, computers, things that work off internal rechargeable batteries - and have 'switching' supplies. If so, they will be marked somewhere near the power supply/back panel that they can run off eg 100-240v 50/60Hz.

Of course, even those will need simple plug adapters, but those cost a dollar or so each.

Electronic stuff with those wall-wart power supplies: they're running DC internally and often the wall-wart can be swapped out for a localized one (if the wall-wart doesn't work off both 120 and 220v.

But there are exceptions - not all digital stuff can work on both voltages - so it is important to check - some things used on wrong voltage will fail in dangerous ways.

BOLLENENI

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Chennai.Tamilnadu,India
Category........
Other
Thank you for the explanation , I understand that we get all ethnic ingredients and the gas stove works well as in India to make fried items, will google and find out the grocery shops. Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the explanation , I understand that we get all ethnic ingredients and the gas stove works well as in India to make fried items, will google and find out the grocery shops. Thank you
Will your home in Canada have a gas stove? Many people have electric ovens and not gas. Depends where you live.

Reactions: armoured

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

OP is very focused on gas appliances as believe coming on a visitor visa.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/lodging.767825/

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
My advice is NOT to bring appliances to Canada that may not work with the correct voltage. Induction stove top burners are available in many local stores (including Costco). One recently on sale for around $50.

You may want to check if the ventulation is good (or if the hood fan is working) in the apartment that you are staying.
Some places have very weak vent and cooking methods like deep frying or stir frying may stink up the place too much. And many places also have smoke detector.

Get some take outs and try out local food in Canada while you visit.

BOLLENENI

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Chennai.Tamilnadu,India
Category........
Other
My advice is NOT to bring appliances to Canada that may not work with the correct voltage. Induction stove top burners are available in many local stores (including Costco). One recently on sale for around $50.

You may want to check if the ventulation is good (or if the hood fan is working) in the apartment that you are staying.
Some places have very weak vent and cooking methods like deep frying or stir frying may stink up the place too much. And many places also have smoke detector.

Get some take outs and try out local food in Canada while you visit.
Thank you, so I cant fry fryams if it is not ventelated properly, can you pl share thelocation of good Indian (s) food outlets in Markham area

binder1232

Oct 28, 2013
India
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
07th October 2020
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
25 November 2020
AOR Received.
24 December 2020
IELTS Request
passed
File Transfer...
24 December 2020
Med's Request
Upfront done
Med's Done....
03/02/2021
Interview........
waiting
Passport Req..
24-06-2022
VISA ISSUED...
11 July 2022
LANDED..........
N.A.
My brother has gas stove in his kitchen and we make paranthas in kitchen then fire alarms are shootout even there are good ventilation in the kitchen.