+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Separation during the first year of immigration

Haligonian_ns

Sep 23, 2020
My husband and I moved to Canada in March this year amid the coronavirus, and landed basically on lock down day. We both have work permits, mine is tied to my employer but he has an open work permit. Since being in Canada, we've experienced some issues in our relationship and are considering a separation.

I'm hoping we're adult enough to sort every thing out amicably but incase it doesn't, I'd like to know what I stand financially and in a legal sense. As I'm the main applicant, he's mentioned spousal support and the need for me to financially support him.

We both had management Jobs in the UK and although he does have a job now, it's a basic low paid job. I have financially supported him 100% since being here.

If we were to separate, would I have to pay spousal support? The only real asset we have is the car, which we used joint funds for the down payment but I've been paying the loan payments whilst he uses it daily to and from work. Would the cost of that be split? I'm assuming the car is still in negative equity if we were to sell it.

I'm certain that in a few months time hell get a more higher paid job so I don't want to have to pay spousal support if he's earning a decent salary soon, and is he does I'm hoping this will be less of discussion about the legal route.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My husband and I moved to Canada in March this year amid the coronavirus, and landed basically on lock down day. We both have work permits, mine is tied to my employer but he has an open work permit. Since being in Canada, we've experienced some issues in our relationship and are considering a separation.

I'm hoping we're adult enough to sort every thing out amicably but incase it doesn't, I'd like to know what I stand financially and in a legal sense. As I'm the main applicant, he's mentioned spousal support and the need for me to financially support him.

We both had management Jobs in the UK and although he does have a job now, it's a basic low paid job. I have financially supported him 100% since being here.

If we were to separate, would I have to pay spousal support? The only real asset we have is the car, which we used joint funds for the down payment but I've been paying the loan payments whilst he uses it daily to and from work. Would the cost of that be split? I'm assuming the car is still in negative equity if we were to sell it.

I'm certain that in a few months time hell get a more higher paid job so I don't want to have to pay spousal support if he's earning a decent salary soon, and is he does I'm hoping this will be less of discussion about the legal route.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated, thanks.
This has nothing to do with immigration and will be part of a divorce agreement.