+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Semi Skilled Worker/Pregnant before going to Canada

Perone2308_

Mar 20, 2024
Good Day!

I was about 2 months pregnant now and I am not yet in Canada. I will be working as a Food Attendant in Tims Edmonton Alberta. Im about to leave my country around May 2024 and that would be the 4th month of my pregnancy . Is it okay not to tell my employer about this? Will my employer fire me? I've waited for almost 2 years for the whole process of my application. My visa came and I am just waiting for my certificate and ticket. Please help me to clear my mind. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Good Day!

I was about 2 months pregnant now and I am not yet in Canada. I will be working as a Food Attendant in Tims Edmonton Alberta. Im about to leave my country around May 2024 and that would be the 4th month of my pregnancy . Is it okay not to tell my employer about this? Will my employer fire me? I've waited for almost 2 years for the whole process of my application. My visa came and I am just waiting for my certificate and ticket. Please help me to clear my mind. Thank you
You should be prepared because you may not qualify for maternity leave payments due to not enough work hours (payments are difficult to survive on), what if you get sick and can’t work you won’t qualify for unemployment pay, etc.? How will you support a child on likely minimum wage and find/pay for childcare? You and your child need to spend 12 months in Alberta to qualify for free healthcare or else you can be charged for the healthcare you used. You won’t qualify for child benefit until your child is around a year old. Unless you have another source of financial support or significant savings arriving in Canada halfway through your pregnancy is setting yourself up for huge financial difficulties. The cost of living and caring for a child is very high in Canada. It can be difficult to rent a room in a shared house because people don’t want to be disturbed by a baby. Don’t want to be negative but you really need to consider whether this is feasible especially if you are coming alone without family in Canada that could provide housing and other support.

Reactions: Kaibigan