+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking stories of flagpole run while out of status

Nov 1, 2019
Hello CanadaVisa community,

I am seeking stories, good or bad, of people who have attempted a flagpole run while out of status. Due to a technicality my current work permit expired before I could apply for another and I am currently out of status with a nomination from BC PNP. I really cannot afford to wait 4 months for restoration of status and am considering going to the border to get my WP.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with IRCC and CBSA and niether could give me a concise answer and the clearest thing I have found is along the lines of "the border officer can issue a work permit or refuse re-entry at your own risk".

Has anybody here gone to the border out of status and been granted a work permit? Or worse has anybody been refused re-entry, and if so why? My main question would be what are the red flags that gets someone kicked out of the country, assuming everything to support their work permit is valid?

As a disclaimer, yes I understand that being out of status can be a risk, and that that flagpoling is not the proper way to go about this. I am simply seeking peoples experiences in this scenario.

Thank you all!

star.igg

Star Member
Sep 14, 2019
This is what will happen:
Scenario 1

1. If you still are working while out of status in Canada, you will be identified as working illegally. Rest assured CBSA will call your employer to verify when was the last day you worked so be prepared for that.
2. You will be asked to leave Canada voluntarily aka withdraw your application for reentry, they will most likely grant you a TRP so you can re-enter Canada and wrap your unfinished business. You will have to report to nearest CBSA location as directed by them with your departure information within 24-48 hrs.

If you are from a high risk country, you might be detained but that's very unlikely at a land border crossing. You will have to reapply from outside Canada for your WP or PR. You will always have to mention illegal work on your future applications to CIC.

Episode 31 - 2013 of Border Security deals with exactly this issue.

Scenario 2:
You have stopped working exactly on the day your WP expired.
High chance you can be granted a WP if you have all the necessary paperwork ready when you flagpole.

Last edited:

nikhilch

Jul 26, 2020

I am seeking stories, good or bad, of people who have attempted a flagpole run while out of status. Due to a technicality my current work permit expired before I could apply for another and I am currently out of status with a nomination from BC PNP. I really cannot afford to wait 4 months for restoration of status and am considering going to the border to get my WP.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with IRCC and CBSA and niether could give me a concise answer and the clearest thing I have found is along the lines of "the border officer can issue a work permit or refuse re-entry at your own risk".

Has anybody here gone to the border out of status and been granted a work permit? Or worse has anybody been refused re-entry, and if so why? My main question would be what are the red flags that gets someone kicked out of the country, assuming everything to support their work permit is valid?

As a disclaimer, yes I understand that being out of status can be a risk, and that that flagpoling is not the proper way to go about this. I am simply seeking peoples experiences in this scenario.

Thank you all!

After a lot of research, I found a useful post for my situation.

I completed my master's program full-time on 28th April 2023 (Friday).
My study permit and TRV expired on 30th April (Sunday)
I received my course completion letter and official transcripts from my university on 1st May 2023 (Monday)
I applied for PGWP on 3rd May 2023 (Wednesday). I included the restoration of the student status payment receipt in the file and explained the above timeline.

In this case, I am not supposed to work until my PGWP gets approved. Processing time for PGWP is almost 5-6 months. I am a student with huge education loan and responsibilities. So I am looking for alternative ways to get PGWP and I found one option, which is flag polling.

Do you suggest me to do a flagpole in my situation? or
what shall I do in this situation?
Is it valid/good to go there?
What documents shall I carry with me?

Please help me out, guys.

Asobhy

Feb 4, 2024

Thank you all!
Hi there, did you end up going for flagpoling? I am in a similar situation now but unsure what to do

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there, did you end up going for flagpoling? I am in a similar situation now but unsure what to do
There are differences between borders and not consistent policies because flagpoling is not the primary focus of border crossing it is an extra service the borders provide in limited number typically only certain days. These limits have been in place since Covid.