+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Asylum

cxl

May 31, 2018
I’m traveling to Canada with my wife from Nigeria with a visiting visa. We want to seek asylum at the port of entry due to herdsmen killings in Nigeria. My questions please:

1) Should we make our claims differently like we do not know each other?

2) what chances do we have to get our claims approved?

3) What is the procedure immediately we seek asylum? Do we get separated from the airport to the refugee camp? Or are we allowed to rent an apartment till our hearing date?

Please urgent response. Thank you.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
So you both already have approved TRVs to visit Canada?

You should make claim together. There is no advantage to doing separately. You will need to disclose your relationship to each other anyways.

Chances will depend on the evidence you're able to provide, that both of you have been personally attacked/targeted. If your whole asylum claim will be based solely on general situation in home country and you don't have specific evidence, chance to get approved may not be good.

You would be expected to fund your own stay in Canada and get your own place to live while waiting for your hearing.

cxl

May 31, 2018
So you both already have approved TRVs to visit Canada?

You should make claim together. There is no advantage to doing separately. You will need to disclose your relationship to each other anyways.

Chances will depend on the evidence you're able to provide, that both of you have been personally attacked/targeted. If your whole asylum claim will be based solely on general situation in home country and you don't have specific evidence, chance to get approved may not be good.

You would be expected to fund your own stay in Canada and get your own place to live while waiting for your hearing.

Thank you for the reply. But can our claim for LGBT stand. We’ve got evidence. We are both bisexual. I was arrested some weeks ago but got bailed. We’ve been rejected by both families. Kindly reply.

Thank you.

cxl

May 31, 2018
Y
You will need to provide evidence that you have been persecuted.
Persecuted? You mean charged to court or convicted for being bisexual? Please enlighten me as to which will amount to an evidence.

Thank you

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Reactions: russ6970

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
What were you arrested for? Are you a same sex couple? Is that your only encounter with officials? Family rejecting you isn’t particularly strong supporting evidence for a claim. What other steps have you taken to avoid conflict or persecution? And, as previously posted, do you have TRV’s or are you planning to cross illegally from the US? the acceptance rate is about 30% for Nigerians and illegal crossings are likely much lower than that, with current estimates at about 10% for Nigerians crossing from the US.

cxl

May 31, 2018
What were you arrested for? Are you a same sex couple? Is that your only encounter with officials? Family rejecting you isn’t particularly strong supporting evidence for a claim. What other steps have you taken to avoid conflict or persecution? And, as previously posted, do you have TRV’s or are you planning to cross illegally from the US? the acceptance rate is about 30% for Nigerians and illegal crossings are likely much lower than that, with current estimates at about 10% for Nigerians crossing from the US.
We are not crossing illegally. We have TRV. I was arrested for being bisexual. My wife is also bi but we are not same sex couples. Yes, that was my only encounter with the police.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok, were you arrested because you were bi or because of something else (for example DUI).
Right now you are in a hetero relationship. Did you and your spouse had a history of a same sex relationship (that is when bi becomes apparent), and which is causing you problems.
Are you and your wife targeted because being bi. Do you have prove of being bi?
Are you threatened by life?
Did you try to move to the other part of your country?

Be aware that claiming something like:
I am bisexual (currently in a heterosexual relationship), which my family does not approve (why?) and I was arrested by police once. After that I decided to claim refuge.
will not be enough.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
We are not crossing illegally. We have TRV. I was arrested for being bisexual. My wife is also bi but we are not same sex couples. Yes, that was my only encounter with the police.
You have little chance of approval. It is common for people to say that they are gay or bisexual to claim asylum. The fact that you are now in a hetero relationship really does increase your burden of proof.