+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking Asylum from Europe to Safe Country

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
I have a friend from Afghanistan and he has an Austrian PR like and currently living in Austria. He wants to know if he come to Canada and if he can ask for Asylum at the airport? He feels Europe is a life threatening for him and wants to seek another country's protection and Canada is one of them or US, Mexico..... If anyone has info please let me know to pass it to him.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I have a friend from Afghanistan and he has an Austrian PR like and currently living in Austria. He wants to know if he come to Canada and if he can ask for Asylum at the airport? He feels Europe is a life threatening for him and wants to seek another country's protection and Canada is one of them or US, Mexico..... If anyone has info please let me know to pass it to him.
The short answer is no.

It's not possible for him to seek refugee protection in Canada since he already has permanent residency in Austria.

If he wishes to immigrate to Canada, he will need to do that through an economic immigration program like Express Entry. He can find information about the Express Entry program here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Claiming refugee status is not an option.

Reactions: Buletruck

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hi - you'll find the answer here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/page-19.html

Spoiler alert, the answer is no.

101 (1) A claim is ineligible to be referred to the Refugee Protection Division if
  • (a) refugee protection has been conferred on the claimant under this Act;
  • (b) a claim for refugee protection by the claimant has been rejected by the Board;
  • (c) a prior claim by the claimant was determined to be ineligible to be referred to the Refugee Protection Division, or to have been withdrawn or abandoned;
  • (c.1) the claimant has, before making a claim for refugee protection in Canada, made a claim for refugee protection to a country other than Canada, and the fact of its having been made has been confirmed in accordance with an agreement or arrangement entered into by Canada and that country for the purpose of facilitating information sharing to assist in the administration and enforcement of their immigration and citizenship laws;
  • (d) the claimant has been recognized as a Convention refugee by a country other than Canada and can be sent or returned to that country;
Your friend's feelings about his safety may be authentic, but that won't alter a decision about refugee eligibility to make a claim in Canada. Maybe there's an answer for him somewhere else on the planet, but it isn't likely to be in the more developed countries.

How about Namibia or Algeria? Look for countries that haven't signed the 1951 UN Convention for refugees and you'll find a solution.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
The short answer is no.

It's not possible for him to seek refugee protection in Canada since he already has permanent residency in Austria.

If he wishes to immigrate to Canada, he will need to do that through an economic immigration program like Express Entry. He can find information about the Express Entry program here: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/works.html

Claiming refugee status is not an option.
What do you mean that it is not an option? Does it look like to you that he has an option? If he was immigrating for fun then what is more fun than living in Austria? Level up.

jinglebell0123

Jun 4, 2021
Burnaby, Canada
Category........
Other
Hi - you'll find the answer here: https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/i-2.5/page-19.html

Spoiler alert, the answer is no.

101 (1) A claim is ineligible to be referred to the Refugee Protection Division if
  • (a) refugee protection has been conferred on the claimant under this Act;
  • (b) a claim for refugee protection by the claimant has been rejected by the Board;
  • (c) a prior claim by the claimant was determined to be ineligible to be referred to the Refugee Protection Division, or to have been withdrawn or abandoned;
  • (c.1) the claimant has, before making a claim for refugee protection in Canada, made a claim for refugee protection to a country other than Canada, and the fact of its having been made has been confirmed in accordance with an agreement or arrangement entered into by Canada and that country for the purpose of facilitating information sharing to assist in the administration and enforcement of their immigration and citizenship laws;
  • (d) the claimant has been recognized as a Convention refugee by a country other than Canada and can be sent or returned to that country;
Your friend's feelings about his safety may be authentic, but that won't alter a decision about refugee eligibility to make a claim in Canada. Maybe there's an answer for him somewhere else on the planet, but it isn't likely to be in the more developed countries.

How about Namibia or Algeria? Look for countries that haven't signed the 1951 UN Convention for refugees and you'll find a solution.
Thank you for your answer and the link. I believe he is searching for a bunch of options now to fly as soon as possible to somewhere safer.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What do you mean that it is not an option? Does it look like to you that he has an option? If he was immigrating for fun then what is more fun than living in Austria? Level up.
I'm not sure I understand your question.

You asked if claiming asylum in Canada is possible for him. The answer to that question is no.

I gave the Express Entry program as an alternative if he wishes to move to move to Canada permanently.

Reactions: jinglebell0123