+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Seeking answers to some questions regarding IELTS exam and the FSCW program??

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Can someone help to clarify for me some questions regarding the (new) FSWC (Federal Skilled Worker Class) program.

This is currently my (limited) understanding of the new FSWC program:

[1] A new occupation list (NOC list) will be released sometime in April/2013.

[2] The new FSWC program will start accepting applications on May 4, 2013.

[3] I will have to submit my official IELTS grades with my FSWC application to prove my English language proficiency.

[4] I will have to have my (non Canadian) university credentials pre-assessed/pre-approved by an assessment organizations designated by CIC.

[5] I will have to also submit this credential approval ([4]) with my FSWC application.

[6] The list of credential assessment organizations designated by CIC will be made available in April/2013.

[7] There is now a limit on the number of FSWC applications that CIC will be accepting.

[8] FSWC selection system will start accepting applications on May 4, 2013.

My question are:

(a) What is the number of FSCW applications that CIC will be accepting for 2013?

(b) The earliest IELTS exam date that is available to me for the IELTS General Training exam is Apr/27/2013, the results due date for that April exam is May/10/2013.

Considering that FSWC applications will be opening up on May 4, 2013 do you think I would still have a chance of submitting my application before the FSWC application limit is reached?

(c) How exactly are points allocated for education? For example, assuming that my non Canadian Bachelors degree is actually equivalent to a Canadian university Bachelor degree will I also get additional points based on degree "Honors", i.e., if my Bachelors degree is "First Class Honors" and my degree is indeed equivalent to a Canadian "Honors" degree will I get additional points for those "Honors"?

(c1) Likewise, suppose I have a "non-honors" Bachelors degree, and suppose my "non-honors" degree is equivalent to a Canadian degree but my degree is only a "Pass" degree, how many points do I get for only a "Pass" degree (compared to a "First Class", "Upper Second Class", "Lower Second Class" honors degree)?

(c2) Or does the fact that my degree is only a "Pass" degree prevent it from even being judged as being equivalent to a Canadian degree?

(c3) Is there any guidance from CIC on how exactly will degrees be assessed?

(c4) Is there any system for me to use now to pre-assess my degree just so I have somewhat of an idea of what the CIC's credential assessment organizations will say about my degree?

(c5) What if I have a 4 year degree, but due to some personal matters at the time it took me 6 years to complete my 4 year degree? Will that make a difference during the assessment process?

I really really wouldn't want to waste time preparing to apply for FSCW only to hear from CIC's credential assessment organization that my degree isn't even good enough.

(d) Does anyone know how exactly does Canadian universities classify their undergraduate degrees?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
An "Honours" Bachelor degree in Canada is a four year degree. It has nothing to do with the grade received. It's determine by the length of study. A three year Bachelor is automatically non-Honours.

The vast majority of Canadians complete Honours Bachelor degrees (4 years). This is the standard.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
scylla said:
An "Honours" Bachelor degree in Canada is a four year degree. It has nothing to do with the grade received. It's determine by the length of study. A three year Bachelor is automatically non-Honours.

The vast majority of Canadians complete Honours Bachelor degrees (4 years). This is the standard.

Thanks for your qucik response.

What if I have a standard 4 year degree but due to some personal matters my 4 year degree actually took me 6 years to complete? Is that something will work against me during the credential assement process?

(sorry, I just added c5 question to the list of questions)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It's still a four year degree. I don't think this will be held against you. However it's really impossible to exactly say how everything will be evaluated since this information hasn't been fully released by CIC as of yet.

Most of the answers to your questions are: you'll have to wait until CIC announces the full details.

donutbox

Aug 7, 2010
Considering that the NOC list is not yet out and considering that Credential Assessment Organizations list is also not yet out does it make sense to engage a lawyer/agent to prepare the FSWC forms?......wouldn't it be best to simply wait until later in April/2013 (when NOC list ad credential list) is out before even considering engaging the services of a lawyer/agent?

What I am getting at is what value would a lawyer/agent provide at this early stage?

(I am considering a lawyer/agent.....but considering all I know and considering that I have access to CanadaVisa.com forum I am at a lost to rationalise what value/benefit a lawyer/agent would provide at this early stage and possibly even later)