+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

School record if applicant only attended post-secondary in last 4 years

xjp1981

Dec 17, 2013
Found CIC guideline is very vague on school records requirement:

4. School Records

Provide photocopies of all your official school records if applicable for the relevant four (4) year period immediately preceding the date of your application, provide.

In addition, provide photocopies of official school records for any children in Canada or abroad who are or were under the age of 18 in the past four (4) years even if you are not applying for Canadian citizenship on their behalf.

Format: Clear and legible photocopy

I called CIC Call Centre today and got conflicting answers. One agent said diploma and official transcript together should suffice but the other said transcript is NOT school record and she has seen applications with official transcript alone returned.

Anyone who has successfully sent their application can advise?
Thanks a lot!!

touché

Star Member
Jun 15, 2013
xjp1981 said:
Found CIC guideline is very vague on school records requirement:

4. School Records

Provide photocopies of all your official school records if applicable for the relevant four (4) year period immediately preceding the date of your application, provide.

In addition, provide photocopies of official school records for any children in Canada or abroad who are or were under the age of 18 in the past four (4) years even if you are not applying for Canadian citizenship on their behalf.

Format: Clear and legible photocopy

I called CIC Call Centre today and got conflicting answers. One agent said diploma and official transcript together should suffice but the other said transcript is NOT school record and she has seen applications with official transcript alone returned.

Anyone who has successfully sent their application can advise?
Thanks a lot!!
I sent degree certificates only (Undergrad and MSc) and this was deemed ok as the application was never returned.

canmanottawa

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
Diploma or university degree are required to be sent if you got them in 4 years JUST BEFORE YOU APPLY FOR CITIZENSHIP. High School records are also to be sent if they are earned in the 4 years period before citizenship.

For example.. I got my BA in English Lit... in 2006... I am applying in Jan 2014.. I will include it because it is my proof of language..

I got my High school diploma.. in 2000.. and I am applying in Jan 2014 ... so I cant include that...

I got my high school diploma equivalency here in Ontario in 2013, then yes i will include it.. because I am applying in Jan 2014..

Hope this is clear for you.