+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Saudi Arabia Birth Certificate for Minors

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
Hi,

I'm about to apply for citizenship as a family and my son was born in Saudi Arabia. I have gotten the English translation done from a Canadian certified translator.

However there are a couple of things that I needed some clarity on:

1) In Saudi, it is standard that the birth certificate only mentions the first name of the child. There is no surname mentioned. Just the first name.
2) Also it is standard practice in Saudi Arabia that names have the father's name also attached to it. So my name (father's name) in my son's birth certificate reads as MY NAME FATHERS NAME.

My question is will this cause an issue with the officer processing the citizenship application? Do they match the names with the names on the passport? If they do, then obviously it will not 100% match with the name on the passport? Or should I not worry about this as it's a well known issue with Saudi documents and the Canadian officers would know about it?

Appreciate any insight from anyone who has gone through this issue? Thanks a lot.

FutureImmi

May 8, 2014
Hi,

I'm about to apply for citizenship as a family and my son was born in Saudi Arabia. I have gotten the English translation done from a Canadian certified translator.

However there are a couple of things that I needed some clarity on:

1) In Saudi, it is standard that the birth certificate only mentions the first name of the child. There is no surname mentioned. Just the first name.
2) Also it is standard practice in Saudi Arabia that names have the father's name also attached to it. So my name (father's name) in my son's birth certificate reads as MY NAME FATHERS NAME.

My question is will this cause an issue with the officer processing the citizenship application? Do they match the names with the names on the passport? If they do, then obviously it will not 100% match with the name on the passport? Or should I not worry about this as it's a well known issue with Saudi documents and the Canadian officers would know about it?

Appreciate any insight from anyone who has gone through this issue? Thanks a lot.
You can use the birth registration certificate you might have received from Indian embassy in Riyadh. That is equivalent of a birth certificate and will have the name split as First name and last name.

shariq123

Jun 8, 2016
You can use the birth registration certificate you might have received from Indian embassy in Riyadh. That is equivalent of a birth certificate and will have the name split as First name and last name.
I'm from Pakistan. I did not get any birth registration certificate from Pakistan embassy as its not required. They can issue passport and identity cards based on foreign birth certificates.

I think maybe I should explain this issue in a letter of explanation.

FutureImmi

May 8, 2014
I'm from Pakistan. I did not get any birth registration certificate from Pakistan embassy as its not required. They can issue passport and identity cards based on foreign birth certificates.

I think maybe I should explain this issue in a letter of explanation.
Oh in that case, the name on child’s passport will be used. But yes you can still provide a letter of explanation and that will probably be sufficient