+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Saskatchewan's nominee concern

nainaseth99

Aug 13, 2019
Hello friends,

I was primary applicant and I got PR through Saskatchewan's nomination. My husband and I have been applying for jobs in Saskatchewan but no luck. Our time in PR is running out and we are discussing if we should move to Ontario as he is at least getting one job offer there and I can search for jobs in Ontario after we move.

I am aware that as per law PR holder can live anywhere in Canada. But we are still doubtful if CIC will raise concerns as we won't live in Saskatchewan when we apply to renew our PR.

Are there any members in this forum who got their PR through Saskatchewan's nomination and lived in other provinces and were able to renew their PR? If you could share your experience - questions you were asked, documents you provided in response etc., it will be of immense help.

Thanks in advance.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You have not given ANY information on how long you have been in Saskatchewan All you have given is " Our time in PR is running out", and that does not make sense. How long have you been applying for jobs ? Did you do a soft landing, leave, then return ?

Last edited:

nainaseth99

Aug 13, 2019
You have not given ANY information on how long you have been in Saskatchewan All you have given is " Our time in PR is running out", and that does not make sense. How long have you been applying for jobs ? Did you do a soft landing, leave, then return ?
Apologies. We softlanded in mid-2017 and then came back to the US. I have been applying for jobs in Saskatchewan since mid-2018. I don't even see a lot of jobs for me to apply in Sask. Hence I also have been applying all over Canada. My husband got job offer to work in Ontario now.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Apologies. We softlanded in mid-2017 and then came back to the US. I have been applying for jobs in Saskatchewan since mid-2018. I don't even see a lot of jobs for me to apply in Sask. Hence I also have been applying all over Canada. My husband got job offer to work in Ontario now.
You would need to actually relocate to Saskatchewan and look for jobs. In general Canadian employers often don’t consider applicants if they aren’t currently living in Canada.

nainaseth99

Aug 13, 2019
We would be moving to Ontario as my husband's job is there and we can keep applying for jobs in Sask from there. But if at all, we are not able to find jobs in Sask and stay back in Ontario, would there be a problem when we renew the PR and/or apply for citizenship?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
If they seen you were a provincial nominee, they may turn you away, since a provincial nominee has to at least try and get a job in the province that has provided it. I know you have tried getting a job while in the US, but as Canuck78 stated it is hard to get a job when you are not in the country. There has been a lot of abuse of the nominee program over the years, so they are now very wary of people not having the true intentions (not saying you are one). To be safe, go to Saskatchewan for even 6 months and try for a job. If you can't get it then, you are free to move.

nainaseth99

Aug 13, 2019
How is trying for job in Sask from Ontario different from trying for job from Sask? We will be already in Canada. We will be willing to relocate to Sask, if we get a job. I understand there is PNP abuse, but it is also a fact that not many jobs are there in Sask. Even among those few jobs, we might not be a fit. I agree that we should probably live in Sask for maybe 6 months and try, but if my husband declines the Ontario job offer now for us to live in Sask, then chances are it might be hard for us to get a job again after 6 months.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
There is a chance if you give an Ontario address they will question it because of the nomination. There is also a chance they may not. If you are going to go ti Ontario i would suggest gathering as much evidence as you can concerning you and your husband trying to get jobs there first. You may get a friendly officer that will let you through, but then again you may get one that sticks to every rule. Totally up to you, just pointing out that you may be questioned quite a lot about it. Would hate to see you get turned away after you have went through all the hard work of getting PR.

nainaseth99

Aug 13, 2019
There is a chance if you give an Ontario address they will question it because of the nomination. There is also a chance they may not. If you are going to go ti Ontario i would suggest gathering as much evidence as you can concerning you and your husband trying to get jobs there first. You may get a friendly officer that will let you through, but then again you may get one that sticks to every rule. Totally up to you, just pointing out that you may be questioned quite a lot about it. Would hate to see you get turned away after you have went through all the hard work of getting PR.
Thanks for the detailed response, I now understand what you are trying to explain. Even though we completed softlanding in Sask in mid-2017, we might have issues at the border when we move to Ontario from US as we softlanded in Sask. Is my understanding correct?

What is funny is, when I softlanded in Saskatoon in mid-2017, I gave the officer my friend's address in Ontario for the PR card to be delivered and he didn't voice any concern about that.

Would it help if we do the following in Sask : rent a room, get health cards and driver licenses, register car and use the Sask address for bank account, credit card and tax filings? By doing these things can we prove that we intend to live in Sask? Looks like most of the health benefits can be obtained in Ontario using Sask's health cards. But can we drive in Ontario using Sask's DL and number plate on the car?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
When you gave your friends address when you soft landed. Did you state it was your friends address, or did you say you were only going to be staying for so long?

I really don't know about Ontario's health benefits if you are on another provinces health card. Maybe somebody in Ontario can answer that, as I am in Newfoundland. Renting a room and using that address on the bank would look a bit more convincing than saying you were going to Ontario. That would be a big expense, but if it's worth it for your husbands job, I suppose it is an option, but I would never advise somebody to do that.

For tax, that's a whole different story. Basically as long as when they ask you where you are going, you say you are going to rent or already have a place in Saskatchewan and DON'T mention Ontario at all, you will be let through. But I feel uneasy as there are people desperate to get here and you are basically taking a nominee and not using it. But, whatever you do, good luck.

nainaseth99

Aug 13, 2019
I want to use my nomination, but unfortunately, I am not able to. I am going to keep applying for jobs in Sask from Ontario. So that we can move to Sask. Unlike most of the people who prefer to live in Ontario or BC, we actually want to atleast live in Sask for few years as they nominated me and helped me get the PR. But it is not practically possible to live in Sask (or anywhere for that matter) without a job.

But our main concern is, during PR renewal or citizenship application, would there be scrutiny as to why we didn't live in Sask (if we never managed to find a job in Sask) as we got PR through Sask's PNP?