+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RQ Translations: original or copies?

borrasca

Nov 10, 2013
I understand we are expected to send copies of most documents requested in the RQ. However, I am unsure if that also applies to translations. Are we expected to send the original translations (i.e. the physical document with the translator's official stamp) or can we send copies? Does anyone have any experience with this? What did you do?

Thanks in advance.

Randypandy

Star Member
May 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hi borrasca

You need to submit Original stamped translations for CIC allways.

Randy

Maisa

Jun 14, 2012
For all our RQ we submitted copies even for our kids birth certificate translation. We sat for the test and are waiting for the oath now.
All the best!

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Especially if you received a pretest RQ I would lean towards NOT sending the originals but instead sending photocopies and keeping the originals to bring along to future tests or interviews. There have been a few reports of the CIC losing or misplacing RQ responses (i.e. contacting RQ recipients a year after they sent their RQ response with a threatening letter telling them that they never sent in their documents and if they don't do so ASAP, their application with be deemed abandoned and closed). Side note: This is why it's important to keep your tracking number and proof of signature for RQ responses.

Back to the subject at hand: Sending the original & certified translations carries some risk. The translations are replaceable, but it's a question of whether the risk of the expense and hassle of replacement would be worth the benefit of sending the CIC office the original (even though they do not explicitly request it).

Ultimately, like so many RQ-related subjects, it is a grey area, so it's up to you to decide what approach you are most comfortable with.

Randypandy

Star Member
May 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eileenf said:
Especially if you received a pretest RQ I would lean towards NOT sending the originals but instead sending photocopies and keeping the originals to bring along to future tests or interviews. There have been a few reports of the CIC losing or misplacing RQ responses (i.e. contacting RQ recipients a year after they sent their RQ response with a threatening letter telling them that they never sent in their documents and if they don't do so ASAP, their application with be deemed abandoned and closed). Side note: This is why it's important to keep your tracking number and proof of signature for RQ responses.

Back to the subject at hand: Sending the original & certified translations carries some risk. The translations are replaceable, but it's a question of whether the risk of the expense and hassle of replacement would be worth the benefit of sending the CIC office the original (even though they do not explicitly request it).

Ultimately, like so many RQ-related subjects, it is a grey area, so it's up to you to decide what approach you are most comfortable with.

I totally agree with the point eileenf highlighted here, but today I went and met a Translator for my own RQ (Arabic - English) in toronto confirmed sending copys are not adviseble.
CIC expects orginal stamped documents.
Randy