+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO obligations not met, PR expired. How to fly back to Canada

Klp

Jul 8, 2021
Hi would like to have your advice on the following
My parents PR card expired last year March 2020 and they couldn't travel to Canada due to covid. Further they haven't met the RO . So for them to come back to Canada now what need to be done. Is there any exemption offered due to covid. Looking forward for your valuable advice. Thank you

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My parents PR card expired last year March 2020 and they couldn't travel to Canada due to covid. Further they haven't met the RO . So for them to come back to Canada now what need to be done. Is there any exemption offered due to covid. Looking forward for your valuable advice. Thank you
They basically have two options.

The first is to fly to the US (assuming they either have or can get a US visa) and then to re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle.

The second option is to apply for a PR Travel Document. They will need to include H&C considerations in the application to explain why they were outside of Canada for this long and were unable to meet RO.

The chances of either of these options succeeding will depend on short then are on RO and their reasons for having remained outside of Canada.

Reactions: chs

Klp

Jul 8, 2021
They basically have two options.

The first is to fly to the US (assuming they either have or can get a US visa) and then to re-enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle.

The second option is to apply for a PR Travel Document. They will need to include H&C considerations in the application to explain why they were outside of Canada for this long and were unable to meet RO.

The chances of either of these options succeeding will depend on short then are on RO and their reasons for having remained outside of Canada.
Thank you scylla for your quick response. Can you please let me know where the travel document needs to be applied from is it from Canada or from backhome.
They have only covered 1 year of RO obligation and they were planning to enter Canada prior to their pr card expire last year March 2020. But due to covid and their age factor they had to cancel their travel plans last year. So do you suggest for me to hire a lawyer or to fill the application by myself to have this process successful.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Oh - and to answer your last question, no exemption has been made due to COVID.

If their PR cards expired in March 2020, then COVID really can't be used as the reason for why they have failed to meet RO. They would need to present other H&C reasons for why they remained outside of Canada that long.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you scylla for your quick response. Can you please let me know where the travel document needs to be applied from is it from Canada or from backhome.
They have only covered 1 year of RO obligation and they were planning to enter Canada prior to their pr card expire last year March 2020. But due to covid and their age factor they had to cancel their travel plans last year. So do you suggest for me to hire a lawyer or to fill the application by myself to have this process successful.
It's up to them if they apply themselves or with the help of a lawyer.

Information on how to apply for a PRTD is here. Your parents would apply from outside of Canada.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5529-applying-permanent-resident-travel-document.html

Klp

Jul 8, 2021
Thank you scylla for your quick response

Klp

Jul 8, 2021
Oh - and to answer your last question, no exemption has been made due to COVID.

If their PR cards expired in March 2020, then COVID really can't be used as the reason for why they have failed to meet RO. They would need to present other H&C reasons for why they remained outside of Canada that long.
If the travel document is approved is there is a time frame within which they have to fly back to Canada
If not approved what need to be done next

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If the travel document is approved is there is a time frame within which they have to fly back to Canada
If not approved what need to be done next
If it's approved, you are usually given six months to return to Canada.

If it is not approved, this would result in your parents losing their PR status. You can try appealing this decision.

Klp

Jul 8, 2021
If it's approved, you are usually given six months to return to Canada.

If it is not approved, this would result in your parents losing their PR status. You can try appealing this decision.
Thank you very much