+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

RO not met but wish to travel to US for 3 days

NNNickkk

Feb 23, 2020
Hello every masters,

I am facing a situation about RO not met but wishing to visit Boston for 3 days. Please see my situation below.

I landed on Aug 2015 and my pr card would expire on Aug 2020. During these five year period I would not meet the RO. (Nearly I residented around 300 days) And now I’m working in Ottawa.
I wish to visit a friend in Boston on next Friday and would be back on the following Monday. And I wish to take flight to Boston. It’s around 4 days visit to US.

Is it risking when I returned?
Which airport is low risk? Ottawa or Toronto? I know Montreal is bad to me.

thanks and having a nice weekend please!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
No such thing as a low risk airport your chances of being reported for failing the RO would be the same whichever airport. No way to predict whether you will face any issue or not.

Reactions: dpenabill

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Hello every masters,

I am facing a situation about RO not met but wishing to visit Boston for 3 days. Please see my situation below.

I landed on Aug 2015 and my pr card would expire on Aug 2020. During these five year period I would not meet the RO. (Nearly I residented around 300 days) And now I’m working in Ottawa.
I wish to visit a friend in Boston on next Friday and would be back on the following Monday. And I wish to take flight to Boston. It’s around 4 days visit to US.

Is it risking when I returned?
Which airport is low risk? Ottawa or Toronto? I know Montreal is bad to me.

thanks and having a nice weekend please!!
Well, a starting point would be how you managed to get into the country previously as you would have already been short of the RO when you returned to Canada.

Also, when you did return last time or the previous times, where you in any way questioned about your RO compliance?

Because if so, you may have been flagged for future secondary inspections, which would drastically elevate your risk of being asked about RO compliance when you return next time.

NNNickkk

Feb 23, 2020
Well, a starting point would be how you managed to get into the country previously as you would have already been short of the RO when you returned to Canada.

Also, when you did return last time or the previous times, where you in any way questioned about your RO compliance?

Because if so, you may have been flagged for future secondary inspections, which would drastically elevate your risk of being asked about RO compliance when you return next time.
I took flight back to Canada last summer. While at POE, CBSA noticed me to be aware of residency obligation. And nothing else.

Thanks a lot!!

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
I took flight back to Canada last summer. While at POE, CBSA noticed me to be aware of residency obligation. And nothing else.

Thanks a lot!!
What was that interaction like exactly? Were you sent into secondary inspection or was this at the primary inspection line? Did you reveal to them that you didn’t meet RO?

This is important because it may increase your risk to be questioned when you return next time.

Also, which PoE was this? Montreal seems to be particularly vigilant...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010

Thanks a lot!!
That is a salient clue you are, subsequent to that PoE event, potentially and perhaps likely FLAGGED.

Presence in Canada in the meantime, and how short the trip abroad is, may get you a pass again, even if flagged.

Or it might NOT. Even if NOT flagged.

Bottom-line: traveling abroad when in breach of the Residency Obligation is RISKY. How risky varies, and generally is not readily quantifiable.

If the tales of woe told in various topics here does not illuminate the landscape well enough for you to make a decision, peruse some of the IAD decisions published at Can II that are about RO compliance. See https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/irb/ and search for terms like 'permanent,' 'residency' and 'obligation.'

Whether to take the risk is your choice. If PR status is important to you, that should put a lot of weight on the scales against taking any such risk absent a very compelling reason.

Reactions: armoured