+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada with RTD

canada619

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get information about entering to Canada using my Blue Canadian Refugee Travel Document with validity of 2 years.

My plan is going to Germany for 2 weeks and return to Canada. For that trip, is there any possibility that I can have problems boarding to plane and crossing the border? Is carrying RTD and copy of Notice of Decision enough to enter to Canada and Germany?

I have heard some airline and border staffs are not aware of Canadian Travel Document visa free travel status. Thats why I am worrying about.

Have you ever experienced difficulties when travelling with RTD?

Edit: I do not have Permanent Residency status in Canada as I just mailed my PR application to immigration, they did not start processing my application.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get information about entering to Canada using my Blue Canadian Refugee Travel Document with validity of 2 years.

My plan is going to Germany for 2 weeks and return to Canada. For that trip, is there any possibility that I can have problems boarding to plane and crossing the border? Is carrying RTD and copy of Notice of Decision enough to enter to Canada and Germany?

I have heard some airline and border staffs are not aware of Canadian Travel Document visa free travel status. Thats why I am worrying about.

Edit: I do not have Permanent Residency status in Canada as I just mailed my PR application to immigration, they did not start processing my application.
Most major airlines should be familiar with RTDs especially those flying out of Germany given the wave of immigration in 2015-2017. There have been many Canadian protected people who have relatives in a Germany who have visited them in the past 2-3 years so RTDs in Germany will have been used pretty frequently recently. In other countries that wouldn't be the case and they would have no idea what about RTDs.

Ghess23

Apr 11, 2014
I went from Toronto to Berlin, no problems, have your work or study permit, your RTD and your notice of decision. I went to Berlin and from Berlin went to Croatia, also on a different Occasion went to Cuba. All without a visa. (Airline gives you visa in the plane, you fill it and when you land their customs stamps it) No problems whatsoever.

luckyrefugee

Mar 5, 2019
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
CPC missisuaga
App. Filed.......
10-12-2019
AOR Received.
26-11-2020
Med's Request
19-04-2021
Med's Done....
19-04-2021
LANDED..........
21-04-2021
Hi everyone,

I travelled twice and had no problem going or returning to Canada. Enjoy ur trip