+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning to Canada after Departure Order

eah123

Jun 15, 2015
Hello,

I am from the UK and came into Canada as a visitor to travel around. I am staying with friends in Whitehorse who have kids and the concern with the immigration officers was that I was working as a Nanny for them - which I'm not. We went to Skagway for a weekend of camping and when I came back through the border my visa was changed and I was given 10 days to leave the country (voluntary removal). The officer explained that she believed I was helping out in exchange for room and board.

I believe my rights to be here were breached and so I applied for an extension via CIC and submitted a letter of explanation. My date to leave the country was 28th May 2015 however I understand that when you apply for an extension your visa is automatically extended until you hear back from CIC. I am currently still here in Canada but want to travel to Alaska now before I have to return for university in the UK in Sept.

When I leave Canada to enter Alaska my pending application for extension will be cancelled. I will therefore have a cancelled extension and a departure note that requested me to leave a month ago. After visiting Alaska I want to head back in to Canada to Vancouver and spend a couple weeks there before leaving...

Am I able to re-enter Canada under these circumstances? What problems might I face? I'm in such a difficult situation and honestly it's ruining my gap year.

ANY HELP OR ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, THANK-YOU.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your rights were not breached since visiting Canada is not a right. On the other hand, Canada does have the right to refuse you entry into the country or ask you to leave.

If you did in fact receive a formal departure order - you should be aware this will turn into a deportation order automatically in 30 days (i.e. 30 days after the departure order was issued). It's in your best interest to leave Canada as soon as possible. Once your departure order turns into a deportation order, you will need an ARC (Authorization to Return to Canada) in order to re-enter Canada.

The short answer is that there's no guarantee you will be allowed back into Canada. If your departure order turns into a deportation order, you should assume you won't be able to re-enter Canada.