+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Returning in COVID time

uno111

Nov 13, 2019
I got my PR approved and did a soft landing in November 2019, during this time I also received my PR card. I had to return to my home country to arrange job and family affairs, and intended to move to Canada permanently in April 2020. This plan went to the dumpster due to COVID of course. I hope to return before November, but the pandemic doesn't seem to let off anywhere, and there is still no flight out from my country. My questions are: will CIC ease off the PR obligation (730 days/5 years) due to COVID, will it be worth appealing to them; and is there anyone out there in the same situation as me? I know I'm still very far off the limit but it has been half a year and counting.
Thank you very much for taking your time reading this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I got my PR approved and did a soft landing in November 2019, during this time I also received my PR card. I had to return to my home country to arrange job and family affairs, and intended to move to Canada permanently in April 2020. This plan went to the dumpster due to COVID of course. I hope to return before November, but the pandemic doesn't seem to let off anywhere, and there is still no flight out from my country. My questions are: will CIC ease off the PR obligation (730 days/5 years) due to COVID, will it be worth appealing to them; and is there anyone out there in the same situation as me? I know I'm still very far off the limit but it has been half a year and counting.
Thank you very much for taking your time reading this.
The RO is already very lenient. You still have plenty of time to return to Canada.

Reactions: uno111

minnie99

Star Member
Sep 24, 2020
Ontario
hello, I am in the same situation and did soft landing in the same month as you. glad to know that we both have plenty of time to return. wishing both of us the best of luck.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What if 1 year required to fulfill RO but only 8 months available before PR card expiry ? How to seek guidance from IRCC before returning back ?
There is no point seeking guidance from IRCC. They can't give you advice other than to meet your RO. Would suggest returning as soon as possible and hope you don't get reported. There is a pretty decent chance you may get away with just a lecture about meeting your RO. You would then have to remain in Canada until you are compliant with your RO. RO is counted for 5 years from the date you land as a PR and not related to your PR card expiry date. You can not sponsor anyone until you are compliant with your RO. This can be a big issue if you got married or had a child while you were out of Canada.

tejas_t55

Dec 20, 2015
There is no point seeking guidance from IRCC. They can't give you advice other than to meet your RO. Would suggest returning as soon as possible and hope you don't get reported. There is a pretty decent chance you may get away with just a lecture about meeting your RO. You would then have to remain in Canada until you are compliant with your RO. RO is counted for 5 years from the date you land as a PR and not related to your PR card expiry date. You can not sponsor anyone until you are compliant with your RO. This can be a big issue if you got married or had a child while you were out of Canada.
Thanks Canuck 78