+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Resuming school after 1 year break? DLI

Black_Torch15

Nov 25, 2023
Hello!

I'm a bit worried, long story short, left Canada about a year ago for personal problems, I was a student there. Now I would like to go back and enrol again on a new school.
I have seen that my Visa is still active (apparently the school I was in didn't really care I left and didn't "say anything" hence my Visa still being active), which means I can go back again, problem is the study permit (I'm calling it Visa) expires in Oct.

Is it possible to just change DLI, meaning changing schools, and renew the permit? I have been told it is possible, and it's fine, the problem I have is that I'm dead worried they wouldn't let me enter the country upon landing? I don't know why, but the officer obviously will ask Why I'm in Canada, and If studying, they will see that I had already left a year ago, so obviously I was not studying because I wasn't in the country.

I'm worries that this conversation could happen and I do not know what I would tell them. I haven't done anything wrong or ilegal, just quit and left the country for personal reasons, and now I'm back to resume my studies (with a new school, hence the DLI change). Can they just tell me I can't enter Canada and send me back to my country? (UK) why would they do that to a person that didn't do anything wrong? Am I just thinking too much about this? I don't wanna quit my current job to go continue my studies in Canada for the officer to tell me "You are not entering the country, goodbye".

I'm having a lot of anxiety because of this and I would love some opinions or experience sharing.

Thank you!