+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

residency requirements

rajcalgary2019

Star Member
Mar 2, 2019
I am PR Card holder (fulfilled residency requirements of almost 4.5 years in a 5 year time frame) so no issues renewing PR card. My employer is allowing me to work from India for 6months. I wanted to inquire what's the max time that i spend outside Canada? is it 6months for tax purpose?

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
I am PR Card holder (fulfilled residency requirements of almost 4.5 years in a 5 year time frame) so no issues renewing PR card. My employer is allowing me to work from India for 6months. I wanted to inquire what's the max time that i spend outside Canada? is it 6months for tax purpose?
There is no prescribed max time as such but as you mentioned, tax is one aspect and the other is Ohip. You may want to read through that requirement as well.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Determining your tax residency status involves more than just your time in Canada. There is also a residency requirement for OHIP. Even if you have a valid OHIP card you can lose your coverage if you don’t meet the OHIP RO. If you are out of Canada for 6 months you’ll retain your OHIP partially because of your 4.5 previous years of being in Canada.