+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency requirements

capablan

Apr 2, 2016
Dear all,

I became a PR on May 7, 2016. Since then, I have spent more than 3 years outside of Canada, due to job and family related reasons.

Now I have a job offer in Canada and want to move to Canada from outside. How can I proceed? I never got my PR card because it didn't arrive (twice).

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear all,

I became a PR on May 7, 2016. Since then, I have spent more than 3 years outside of Canada, due to job and family related reasons.

Now I have a job offer in Canada and want to move to Canada from outside. How can I proceed? I never got my PR card because it didn't arrive (twice).
You need to apply for a PRTD (PR Travel Document) if you want to fly to Canada directly. However since you don't meet the residency requirement, the PRTD is going to be refused unless you have H&C reasons for having remained outside of Canada (employment is not accepted as a reason).

If you think the PRTD is going to be refused, then your other option is to fly to the US and attempt to enter Canada through a US/Canada land border without being reporting for failing to meet the residency requirement.

Of course right now all of this is significantly complicated by all of the travel restrictions, border closing and longer IRCC processing times.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Until you meet your RO don’t think you’ll be able to apply for a PR card which will could create issues getting healthcare coverage and you shouldn’t travel outside of Canada. That may be an issue for your job. You also won’t be able to sponsor your spouse or children until you are compliant when it comes to your RO.

capablan

Apr 2, 2016
You need to apply for a PRTD (PR Travel Document) if you want to fly to Canada directly. However since you don't meet the residency requirement, the PRTD is going to be refused unless you have H&C reasons for having remained outside of Canada (employment is not accepted as a reason).

If you think the PRTD is going to be refused, then your other option is to fly to the US and attempt to enter Canada through a US/Canada land border without being reporting for failing to meet the residency requirement.

Of course right now all of this is significantly complicated by all of the travel restrictions, border closing and longer IRCC processing times.
Thanks scylla!

Can I get a temporary work visa or reapply through CEC program? Or do I have to try to get the PRTD and if refused, renounce my PR first?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks scylla!

Can I get a temporary work visa or reapply through CEC program? Or do I have to try to get the PRTD and if refused, renounce my PR first?
You need to renounce your PR status first before you can apply for a temporary work visa or apply for PR through the CEC program.

capablan

Apr 2, 2016
You need to renounce your PR status first before you can apply for a temporary work visa or apply for PR through the CEC program.
Thanks scylla!

Is it worth a shot to try to get the H&C cause by crossing the land border from the US, or should I just renounce and restart?

Is the fact that I renounced going to affect my chances of getting a new PR?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks scylla!

Is it worth a shot to try to get the H&C cause by crossing the land border from the US, or should I just renounce and restart?

Is the fact that I renounced going to affect my chances of getting a new PR?
Personal choice. Assume you have a SIN#. You won’t be able to travel for business, you may not get health coverage and you can’t sponsor a spouse or child for 2 years so it depends on your situation.

capablan

Apr 2, 2016
Personal choice. Assume you have a SIN#. You won’t be able to travel for business, you may not get health coverage and you can’t sponsor a spouse or child for 2 years so it depends on your situation.
I don't have SIN, because I had planned on getting it after my PR card, but the card didn't arrive (twice), and after one year it was too late, as I found out. I do want to travel, I don't want to be in Canada without health insurance for two years.
So, I guess the best path forward is to renounce and restart. Is renouncing going to affect the chances of getting the new PR though?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I don't have SIN, because I had planned on getting it after my PR card, but the card didn't arrive (twice), and after one year it was too late, as I found out. I do want to travel, I don't want to be in Canada without health insurance for two years.
So, I guess the best path forward is to renounce and restart. Is renouncing going to affect the chances of getting the new PR though?
No - renouncing won't impact this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If you did manage to get to Canada without being reported, you wouldn't be able to get a SIN without a valid PR card, so you wouldn't be able to work for several years.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Not at all.