+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Requirement missed earlier(4 years ago). Citizenship RQ and PR renewal

samrogers

Jun 24, 2013
Hi All:

I thank you in advance for your help, advice and input. I hope someone will be able to shed some light
on my situation and share their similar experience with me.

I became PR in Feb 2005 and went back to USA with my son and wife after landing. Stayed in Canada for 5 days
when we landed.
Then here are the timeline for rest of the travel for my family:

1. I came back to Canada in Jan 2008 and lived here since with 2+ months travel to USA to meet my wife. If I calculate
the number of days I lived in Canada for the first 5 years after becoming PR, it is little sort ( 32 days) of required # of
days for maintaining residency requirement.

My last travel outside Canada was in Dec 2009 and have not left the country since then.

I applied for Canadian Citizenship in Feb 2012 after living here for almost 4 years (2+ months outside for travel to USA and
my home country).

I received a RQ in May 2013 for my citizenship application.

2. We had a baby in USA in Dec 2005 and he was just a US citizen...He did not have PR status as he was not born when
we became PR. However, he came to Canada in Jan 01, 2009 with rest of the family (I went to USA to bring the entire
family here). Travelling back to Canada was no issue for any of us. My second son was here as visitor for first 12 months
but became PR after my sponsorship was approved. His status now is PR.

3. My wife and my son came to Canada on Jan 1, 2009 (after living 3 years and 10 months outside Canada). They did not
meet the Residency requirement for PR but were let in as PR when we came. We are now living together and have not
travelled outside Canada.

Our PR Card expired in Feb 2010 and we did not even try to renew it as we did not have any plans to travel outside Canada.

Now my questions:

1. Is my citizenship application in trouble because I did not meet few days of PR residency requirement in the early days of
becoming PR ?

2. If we (three of us - me, my wife and my son) apply for PR renewal, are we eligible if they find out that none of us EXACTLY
met the residency requirement in the first five years of becoming PR ?

Few other situations:

- We are all settle here...bought a house in mid 2009, both of us (me and my wife) work full time and both of my
kids go to school.

- Our tax returns and everything else is clean and we paid about 25k+ in taxes every year after 2009.

I thank you again for your time and help.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. No, you are not in trouble. The citizenship application only looks at the past 4 years. Time spent somewhere more than 4 years ago is irrelevant.

2. No. Because you did not apply to renew your PR card at the time that you did not meet the residency requirements, immigration never became aware of it. Their own rules forbid them from looking further back in time than 5 years for PR residency requirements. If you apply to renew your PR cards now, you will be fine.

samrogers

Jun 24, 2013
Thank you for your response. I am glad that the law is little forgiving if you have not made a grave mistake!!!