+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency question for Canadian citizenship eligibility

funkypandaz

Mar 15, 2017
Hello all,

I might be receiving my Canadian PR in a few months, I have sent all my documents 2 weeks ago and so far haven't received any message or question. I have heard from a few people that have already applied that it's usually taking upto 2 months these days. Now here's my question. I would like to stay in Canada for 3 years on my PR as soon as possible, to be eligible to obtain Canadian citizenship.

I have heard some of my friends mention that for residency purposes, you could stay in Canada but work in the US on a daily basis and that would still count towards your stay in Canada. For example, if I were to find a job in Detroit Metro Area and live in Windsor, Canada and commute to work everyday and go back to Canada in the evening. If I keep doing this for let's say 3 years, would that count as eligible time to apply for a Canadian citizenship? I would be working in the US on an H1B visa btw, which I am on at the moment.

Please let me know if this is a feasible scenario.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Taking 2 months to process a PR application, sounds pretty optimistic ?

Citizenship qualification is all about physical presence so given even being in Canada for a single minute of any one day counts as a day then in theory your plan should work. Although I guess why someone would want to move to Canada as a PR then spend all their time leaving Canada every day as opposed to establishing a life in the country some might find odd.

funkypandaz

Mar 15, 2017
Taking 2 months to process a PR application, sounds pretty optimistic ?

Citizenship qualification is all about physical presence so given even being in Canada for a single minute of any one day counts as a day then in theory your plan should work. Although I guess why someone would want to move to Canada as a PR then spend all their time leaving Canada every day as opposed to establishing a life in the country some might find odd.
This is a contingent plan only. I am going to try to find a gainful employment in proper Canada, but till I get that this was an idea I came up with. All my work experience has been in the US so it's easier for me to find positions in the US compared to Canada where I don't have "Canadian experience" which, as per what I have come to understand is what most employers look for in a potential candidate.