+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligations re-confirmation question, soft landed in June of 2018. Stuck due to pandemic.

sislam1

May 25, 2020
Dear friends who are PR holders! I am trying to help someone out with a question. She soft landed in Canada in June of 2018. However, due to a temporary, but good job offer in the US, she left Canada to work. Now she is stuck in another country due to the pandemic. Worst scenario can be that she will return to Canada in June of 2021. So do you feel from experience if she will have any issues returning to Canada? What are some things she can do to ensure no issues at the border? For e.g. I have recommended her to continue filing taxes. Your kind and generous help will be greatly appreciated! Re-cap: June 2018 soft landed (thus the start of her PR), will return for at the latest by June 2021 if not earlier.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear friends who are PR holders! I am trying to help someone out with a question. She soft landed in Canada in June of 2018. However, due to a temporary, but good job offer in the US, she left Canada to work. Now she is stuck in another country due to the pandemic. Worst scenario can be that she will return to Canada in June of 2021. So do you feel from experience if she will have any issues returning to Canada? What are some things she can do to ensure no issues at the border? For e.g. I have recommended her to continue filing taxes. Your kind and generous help will be greatly appreciated! Re-cap: June 2018 soft landed (thus the start of her PR), will return for at the latest by June 2021 if not earlier.
She will have no issues as long as she returns to Canada before she has lived outside of Canada for three years since landing date.

The best thing she can do to make sure she has no issues as the border is to make sure she returns in June 2021 or earlier. Tax filings don't really matters.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
She should not be filing taxes unless she is actually a tax resident. As she only did a soft landing and left, she is most likely NOT a tax resident.

There are no announced exceptions for failing to meet the RO. If she comes to Canada after a 3+ year absence, she can be reported and lose her PR status.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Adding leaving for almost three years in a worst case scenario, isn’t really temporary