+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Residency Obligation - Takeup citizenship of other country ?

rajjo

Jan 31, 2007
Dear Expert !

I landed on 2 April 2005 and become Canadian PR on 02 April 2005 with Indian passport.

After staying for one month I returned to my "working country" to resume my job as I found difficult to get suitable job in Canada at that time.

I wish to retun to Canada in July Y2007 to meet Resindency requirement and continue staying there, but before moving I would like to know...

Question:-
(a) if I take up citizenship of "Working Country" before moving back to Canada, will it affect my PR status in Canada ? (have to give up my Indian citizenship in order to get "working country" citizenship)

(b) Will it affect my renewal of Canadian PR which is due 02 April 2010 ?

Appreciate if you can advise.

Thanks.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rajjo said:
Dear Expert !

I landed on 2 April 2005 and become Canadian PR on 02 April 2005 with Indian passport.

After staying for one month I returned to my "working country" to resume my job as I found difficult to get suitable job in Canada at that time.

I wish to retun to Canada in July Y2007 to meet Resindency requirement and continue staying there, but before moving I would like to know...

Question:-
(a) if I take up citizenship of "Working Country" before moving back to Canada, will it affect my PR status in Canada ? (have to give up my Indian citizenship in order to get "working country" citizenship)

(b) Will it affect my renewal of Canadian PR which is due 02 April 2010 ?

Appreciate if you can advise.

Thanks.
1. No.
2. If you return in July 07, then you must remain in Canada for 2 out of the next 3 years.

PMM