+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

REQUIREMENTS ONCE LANDED- Hi PMM

cmk2

Oct 3, 2006
Hi PMM,

Long time no chat..Haven't been here for a while..still in the waiting period. In any event, I am posting this here so that anyone else could read and may educate themselves as myself I am not sure about the following 2 questions:

Once my wife is granted her permanent residence status and moves here, is there a minimum of months that she MUST stay in Canada before she can go out for a trip again? I know there is a rule where you can stay out for 6 months max and must come back but can you come in on day 1 for example and by day 10, flying out again on a tourist trip? I am not sure about this.

Before coming to Canada, we intend to have her bring her funds from overseas to Canada for obvious reasons. I am pretty sure that most of you know that when you are filling in the landing card prior to arriving Canada, there is a spot that ask you if you are bringing more than $10,000,you must declare those funds. In the case of an immigrant who probably is bringing their whole savings to Canada,is there any issue in bringing much more than the $10K and will it be taxed?

Please let me know.

Thanks PMM and I am sure all of us here value your advices..So many good advices you've given to so many here...

Zhu

May 30, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Let me answer that...

No, there's no minimum stay in Canada before going on a trip abroad. However :

1) It's wise - if not compulsory - to wait to receive the PR card before exiting the country (it usually takes about 4 weeks to arrive)
2) Don't forget that PR must stay in Canada for a certain lenght of time (I think it's 2 years) in order to keep their PR status

I've never heard of the 6 months rule you mentionned. It doesn't seem to be an immigration rule to me, more of a health card rule - I know in Ontario if you leave the country for more than 6 months then there's a 2 months waiting period when coming back to be covered by OHIP. But that's for both PR and Canadians.

I don't know about the money question... I had 5$ with me when I crossed the border to get my PR status ;-)

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
cmk2

No worries; Canada doesn't tax money just because you bring it into the country. Your wife's income and capital gains are not taxable in Canada prior to her arrival. And whatever money she arrives with will not be taxable. It's only after arrival that your wife's worldwide income and capital gains will be taxable.

TG