+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Requesting advice on direct final year entry into Canadian institutions on Bachelors program

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
Hi beautiful people.

I graduated from the UK on software engineering program (BEng. Software Engineering) with Honours. Unfortunately, I've a GPA less than 2.5 or probably around 2.3 or around 49%. Clearly, I'm not eligible for graduate studies in any given Canadian institutions, neither are there any masters program that suits my interest closely. The programs that suits my interest are available in PG cert/diploma courses, none of which has funding availability and are ridiculously expensive.

The answer to the question I'm seeking is, whether there are any options to apply for direct entry into final years of undergrad program within any Canadian universities? If so, then would that become a factor which may stand as a question to visa officers in S'pore of why I'm willing to pursue the program in Canada and not in the UK, given that I'll be applying from Bangladesh (a Bangladeshi citizen)?

My aim is to improve my GPA, so that I can apply for Masters with funding available from various sources, instead of paying hefty amount for PG diploma/cert courses.

Kindly enlighten me with a probable solution to my situation available.

Many thanks in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi beautiful people.

I graduated from the UK on software engineering program (BEng. Software Engineering) with Honours. Unfortunately, I've a GPA less than 2.5 or probably around 2.3 or around 49%. Clearly, I'm not eligible for graduate studies in any given Canadian institutions, neither are there any masters program that suits my interest closely. The programs that suits my interest are available in PG cert/diploma courses, none of which has funding availability and are ridiculously expensive.

The answer to the question I'm seeking is, whether there are any options to apply for direct entry into final years of undergrad program within any Canadian universities? If so, then would that become a factor which may stand as a question to visa officers in S'pore of why I'm willing to pursue the program in Canada and not in the UK, given that I'll be applying from Bangladesh (a Bangladeshi citizen)?

My aim is to improve my GPA, so that I can apply for Masters with funding available from various sources, instead of paying hefty amount for PG diploma/cert courses.

Kindly enlighten me with a probable solution to my situation available.

Many thanks in advance.
No you are unlikely to be approved to do one year at a university at the bachelor level.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for giving that straight to me and I wouldn't want any twisted answer to please me.
Would suggest you do another degree or more courses in your home country to increase your GPA. It will be quite hard to raise your GPA to get to 75% or above. Canada has become a very popular destination for international students for a variety of reasons so entry admission averages have gone up. It does always come down to who applied for the program at the same time as you do. Qualifying for scholarships will be tough with your profile.

ym205

Jun 15, 2019
Would suggest you do another degree or more courses in your home country to increase your GPA. It will be quite hard to raise your GPA to get to 75% or above. Canada has become a very popular destination for international students for a variety of reasons so entry admission averages have gone up. It does always come down to who applied for the program at the same time as you do. Qualifying for scholarships will be tough with your profile.

Do you think a year or two of full time work experience contributes towards the qualification to apply for any Masters program?