+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Request Letter

palak1puri

Apr 12, 2019
Hello! I am 15 days away from getting the final decision on my Express Entry application. I recently received a request letter questioning the genuineness of the work experience I accumulated in the U.S. on a valid F-1 visa. Has anyone seen or heard this before? How should I respond to this? I have been asked to submit additional documents. What should I submit?

palak1puri

Apr 12, 2019
This is what I got in the request letter:

"This refers to your application for permanent residence in Canada. I am writing you this letter to express my serious concerns regarding your application. I have concerns that you have not accumulated at least one year of full-time work experience, or the equivalent in part-time work, in the occupation identified as your primary occupation,NOC 4163 You have declared that you have been employed at XXX as Market Research Analyst from 2017/05 until 2018/10 as is stated on the letter of employment that you have provided. However, your declarations contradict with the information provide. Following review your passport, I note that you hold an F1 –visa for student not a work permit. Specifically, I have concerns regarding the genuineness of your work experience with XXX. Therefore I am asking you to submit any additional information/documentation that would allay my concerns. You have 30 days from the date of this letter to submit the additional information. Please reply directly to this email and put your application number in the title."

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Ok, so he's wondering how you claimed that you were allowed to work on an F1 visa.

You need to prove that you had the right to work. If you were working legally, you were either on a CPT or an OPT. Which is it?

palak1puri

Apr 12, 2019
I initially worked on OPT and then on CPT. However, it was unexpected and none of my friends who reported their US experience gained on F-1 were questioned. Anyway, each case is different.

Also, where should I send the supporting documents? i

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I initially worked on OPT and then on CPT. However, it was unexpected and none of my friends who reported their US experience gained on F-1 were questioned. Anyway, each case is different.

Also, where should I send the supporting documents? i
So you should put together a set of documents that prove that you were working legally. This would start with the OPT/CPT since that gave you the right to work, and then you'll need stuff from your company.

1. OPT/CPT
2. Offer Letter/Employment Contract
3. All Paystubs
4. Tax Returns
5. Letter from your manager/supervisor with their contact information

things like that.

To send it, if you haven't been given instructions, then you need to raise a CSE -
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-renseignements/canada-case-cas-eng.aspx?AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Choose "Replacement Documents, Amendments to Documents, Verification of Status Documents" and make sure you put in your UCI number.

palak1puri

Apr 12, 2019
Thanks a lot. I was thinking of submitting the same documents as you mentioned. Is there any way I can find out which visa office is processing my application?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks a lot. I was thinking of submitting the same documents as you mentioned. Is there any way I can find out which visa office is processing my application?
If you're applying from the US, it will be CPC-Ottawa

palak1puri

Apr 12, 2019
I have another question - My F-1 visa is expiring in July this year and I need to travel to Canada for work. Is it too risky to travel?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I have another question - My F-1 visa is expiring in July this year and I need to travel to Canada for work. Is it too risky to travel?
Do you have a visa for Canada? Or do you mean after getting your CoPR?

What’s the risk? That the US won’t let you back in?

palak1puri

Apr 12, 2019
Before getting my CoPR. I have a Canadian visitor visa. I will be able to get into Canada but I am concerned about my return to the U.S. as I will be traveling too close to my F-1 visa expiration.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Before getting my CoPR. I have a Canadian visitor visa. I will be able to get into Canada but I am concerned about my return to the U.S. as I will be traveling too close to my F-1 visa expiration.
Impossible to say. If it’s a valid visa you should be allowed back but who knows with CBP.