+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renting house new immigrant

vijay_k

Star Member
Jul 12, 2020
Dear Friends
I am a new immigrant, moving to in couple of months.
I have been looking out for rental properties. However, every posting has mentioned that source of income/job proof and previous landlord references.

As a new immigrant, I could not secure job in Canada from my home country. Also, I tried the options of advance payment and proof of funds. Yet unsuccessful.

Could you please show some insights how to get rental home

My destination Province: Newfoundland and Labrador.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear Friends
I have been looking out for rental properties. However, every posting has mentioned that source of income/job proof and previous landlord references.

As a new immigrant, I could not secure job in Canada from my home country. Also, I tried the options of advance payment and proof of funds. Yet unsuccessful.

How about secure a airbnb first and then get a job?

vijay_k

Star Member
Jul 12, 2020
How about secure a airbnb first and then get a job?
Dear friend
thanks for prompt response.
Yeah thats the only option I left with.
I was wondering if I can get job immediately after, else I will have stay airbnb for a longer period which is very expensive.

Furthermore, for opening account, driving license , sin card and all things they ask for address proof. Even I will have to provide address to CBSA officer for PR card delivery, though I can update address later but its still uncertain

any insights please

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Dear friend
thanks for prompt response.
Yeah thats the only option I left with.
I was wondering if I can get job immediately after, else I will have stay airbnb for a longer period which is very expensive.

Furthermore, for opening account, driving license , sin card and all things they ask for address proof. Even I will have to provide address to CBSA officer for PR card delivery, though I can update address later but its still uncertain

any insights please
No address proof is needed for opening bank account.

vijay_k

Star Member
Jul 12, 2020
No address proof is needed for opening bank account.
oh ok. Thank you friend.
By the way, how about address they ask at port of entry? Should I give airbnb address? is it fine?
For driving license/ identity proof they surely ask for address proof. Even for mobile connection

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
oh ok. Thank you friend.
By the way, how about address they ask at port of entry? Should I give airbnb address? is it fine?
For driving license/ identity proof they surely ask for address proof. Even for mobile connection
Only if the host agree to receive mail addressed to you. Otherwise, no. According to website below for getting driving license, I don't see the address proof requirement:

https://www.gov.nl.ca/motorregistration/new-drivers/identification-documentation/

For example, if you have your immigration paper (primary ID) and Credit card (secondary ID), you are supposed to meet the ID requirements.

vijay_k

Star Member
Jul 12, 2020
Only if the host agree to receive mail addressed to you. Otherwise, no. According to website below for getting driving license, I don't see the address proof requirement:

https://www.gov.nl.ca/motorregistration/new-drivers/identification-documentation/

For example, if you have your immigration paper (primary ID) and Credit card (secondary ID), you are supposed to meet the ID requirements.
oh ya if host doesnt agree , thats gonna be problem. So what possibly I can tell cbsa officer when they ask address for delivery of pr card?
its risky, pr card might get lost if can't find rental home on time.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Btw, do you really need to live in NL? For example you choose a place with little rental competition (such as AB), landlords tends to be more relaxed to rent their house to you at least for short term or month to month.

Reactions: Taran D

vijay_k

Star Member
Jul 12, 2020
Btw, do you really need to live in NL? For example you choose a place with little rental competition (such as AB), landlords tends to be more relaxed to rent their house to you at least for short term or month to month.
Mine is PNP . So, I have live/settle in NL only

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear Friends

You will likely have better luck if you tour houses and meet landlords in person. There is a good chance that you may need to pay a bit more upfront to compensate for not having a jobl. You are actually allowed to move to anothernoart of Canada but need to prove that you are intending to go to NL to receive PR. If you don’t want to live in NL or can’t find a job I would keep records that you did try to relocate to NL and Labrador. Keep proof that you stayed in NL, applied for jobs but had no success so moved to another province.

vijay_k

Star Member
Jul 12, 2020
You will likely have better luck if you tour houses and meet landlords in person. There is a good chance that you may need to pay a bit more upfront to compensate for not having a jobl. You are actually allowed to move to anothernoart of Canada but need to prove that you are intending to go to NL to receive PR. If you don’t want to live in NL or can’t find a job I would keep records that you did try to relocate to NL and Labrador. Keep proof that you stayed in NL, applied for jobs but had no success so moved to another province.
thank you .
yea sure , I will stay NL only and I wont move outside province.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
thank you .
yea sure , I will stay NL only and I wont move outside province.
Think you’re missing the point. Once you have PR you don’t have to remain in NL. Would suggest you keep records that you did go to NL and try to find employment there IF you would like to move elsewhere soon after landing. The people in NL are extremely kind and welcoming so not a bad place to live.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Think you’re missing the point. Once you have PR you don’t have to remain in NL. Would suggest you keep records that you did go to NL and try to find employment there IF you would like to move elsewhere soon after landing. The people in NL are extremely kind and welcoming so not a bad place to live.
Would the "extremely kind" host let the poster use the airbnb address to receive PR card?