+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

rental application: requiring pay stubs, employment letter, picture of photo ID, & credit history

suemon

Apr 5, 2017
Hi, everyone,

I just moved to Ontario, and am looking for apartments. I have one (owned by individual and managed by a rental agent) that I would like to apply and the agent requested me to send 2-months' pay stubs, employment letter, picture of photo ID, & credit history along with the application form. The form also requires SIN, Drivers License no., and Bank information. I do want to rent the apartment, but I feel that it requires too much information from me. What is the standard package that you should provide when applying for a rental? Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi, everyone,

I just moved to Ontario, and am looking for apartments. I have one (owned by individual and managed by a rental agent) that I would like to apply and the agent requested me to send 2-months' pay stubs, employment letter, picture of photo ID, & credit history along with the application form. The form also requires SIN, Drivers License no., and Bank information. I do want to rent the apartment, but I feel that it requires too much information from me. What is the standard package that you should provide when applying for a rental? Thank you!
This might be helpful.

https://settlement.org/ontario/housing/rent-a-home/apply-for-rental-housing/what-documents-do-landlords-ask-for/

TDH Team

Jul 2, 2020
Hi Suemon,
This is the common approach practised by landlords when evaluating a potential tenant. Naturally the landlord tries to minimize the risk of non-payment by their tenant. One approach to mitigate that risk is to offer paying 6-12 months of rent in advance. The landlord cannot require you to do that but if you offer it "voluntarily", it may open doors for you. This is basically how international students or new-comers build tenancy history here. Welcome to Canada!