+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounciation of Canadian Citizenship and Repayment of OSAP

Jul 26, 2022
I am planning to renounce my Canadian citizenship and move overseas. I still have some OSAP debt to repay. Do I have to pay off my remaining OSAP debt to renounce my Canadian citizenship? Will the renounciation application be successful without paying the OSAP debt? Does the CIC check with the CRA to see if I have remaining OSAP debt? Please help. I am not trying to avoid paying OSAP. I want to pursue a career abroad that doesn’t allow multiple citizenships. But I am planning to continue to repay OSAP even after renounciation. I just don’t have that kind of money to make a lump sum payment to settle of the debt right now. Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am planning to renounce my Canadian citizenship and move overseas. I still have some OSAP debt to repay. Do I have to pay off my remaining OSAP debt to renounce my Canadian citizenship? Will the renounciation application be successful without paying the OSAP debt? Does the CIC check with the CRA to see if I have remaining OSAP debt? Please help. I am not trying to avoid paying OSAP. I want to pursue a career abroad that doesn’t allow multiple citizenships. But I am planning to continue to repay OSAP even after renounciation. I just don’t have that kind of money to make a lump sum payment to settle of the debt right now. Thank you.
I don't think there's an OSAP check but I'm not fully confident. I don't think OSAP factors into this decision.

Note that renouncing is taking close to a year and a half right now so you may want to look into options for submitting urgently.