+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renounce PR

AMA_74

Jan 9, 2020
I am planning to volunteer renounce my PR (Main applicant) as I will not be able to comply with RO of staying 730 days. I have few questions related to that

1- Should I start the process from outside Canada where I am live now or wait until I visit Canada in March and doing that from there (What if an officer stop me to check my days in the airport ?)

2- Will that help to get multi visit visa to be able to visit my family

3- Will that have any impact on my family to renew their PRs (since I am the main applicant) specially they will go for vacation outside Canada and will apply for PR renewal when they return (do they expect anyone to stop them in the airport although they by that time complete exactly 730 days inside Canada)

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment/corret as this is my view only.

1)doesnt matter where you renounce from however be aware that if you do renounce from outside and then apply for a TRV then of course there is no guarantee a TRV would be approved. Not just because you have renounced but a TRV application would I assume be assessed from scratch, no way to predict here one way or the other but something to keep in mind.

Note you do not say whether you have a valid PR card given without one you cannot board a plane and would need a PRTD which would probably lead to PR being revovked anyway.

If you have a valid PR card if were me I would take my chances and travel leaving it to CBSA at the border given as a PR you would still be entitled to enter the country even if reported for failing the RO

2)You will see many posts on here where people apply for TRVs and are rejected given the balance of their family is in Canada and they have a challenge to show ties to home country that they will leave at end of their visit.

So cannot really comment one way or the other on a TRV application as there no way to predict as every application is unique and will be importatnt to show that you will leave at the end of any visit.

3)Once a family has landed then the PR status is an individual responsibility and no longer linked as far as RO is concerned to the original primary applicant although would suggest anyone renewing a PR card should wait until they have a couple of months buffer, say through 800 days.

As for arrival at an airport there is no way to predict someone having exactly 730 days although would hope that CBSA are lenient in that respect if the family are even asked given meeting the guidance and possibly depends where they are in the 5 years since landing or in the rolling 5 year period whether further assessment results.

As said above just my personal comments

Last edited:
Reactions: k.h.p.