+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing PR card from outside Canada

VJ@1981

Apr 3, 2023
Option b) is the right way to do it. You can even travel to Canada in May ‘23, a few days before your PR Card expires, then return to India & subsequently apply for a PRTD
Thanks for the reply but would you consider it a legal way

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the reply but would you consider it a legal way
Perfectly legal. You could even ask a family member or friend to courier the card to your address in India, eliminating the need for a PRTD when you plan to return.

Because the PR Card contains a RFID chip, make sure you choose a courier that understands what, if anything, needs to be specified on the paperwork for this to be imported in India. DHL seems to be a popular choice.

VJ@1981

Apr 3, 2023
Perfectly legal. You could even ask a family member or friend to courier the card to your address in India, eliminating the need for a PRTD when you plan to return.

Because the PR Card contains a RFID chip, make sure you choose a courier that understands what, if anything, needs to be specified on the paperwork for this to be imported in India. DHL seems to be a popular choice.
Thanks just another follow up query, Wont it reflect from my records that I entered to apply for extension and then exited. and I never tried to re-enter to collect it. I mean it will be very clear from my entry and exit records , once I try to re-enter with my new PR card (after some one has bought it to me from Canada)

VJ@1981

Apr 3, 2023

ALso isn't it true that, when the PR card reaches the canadian address given, I would be required to sign for it else it wont be given to anyone living at that address. If thats so, then would I not have to go back to get it. ?

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ALso isn't it true that, when the PR card reaches the canadian address given, I would be required to sign for it else it wont be given to anyone living at that address. If thats so, then would I not have to go back to get it. ?
Never heard of that, since as far as I know IRCC sends the card via regular mail (no signature required), BUT...maybe that has changed? I recall that the mail cannot be forwarded to another address.