+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renewing passport in host country - Refugees Outside Canada

stardaow

Jan 13, 2018
What are your thoughts about a refugee applying for a passport if it has expired?
Would the refugee have any problems later? i.e people have faced problems when they applied for a passport within Canada. Would there be any problems with cessation?
Does that rule apply to those who are still in the host country which does not accept UNHCR card as a form of identification? For reference countries which have not ratified the Refugee treaty, e.g. Malaysia, Gulf countries
etc.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
If you hold refugee status or have received your PR as a refugee and renew your home country passport, you risk cessation. Doesn’t matter where you apply for it (in Canada or elsewhere) the risk is the same.

Reactions: Dream2020

stardaow

Jan 13, 2018
The reason I wrote this thread is because countries like Malaysia and Thailand have not signed the Refugee Rights Convention and hence they don't recognize the UNHCR card while regularly arresting refugees and putting them in jails. If a person needs to receive money via Western Union, get a new sim card or avail any service within the country related to identity then the UN card won't function, instead the person would need a valid passport. In this case, a person needs to apply for the passport. Also, the PR visa has not been granted yet.
While applying for the passport won't safeguard from Immigration arrest, it would still make travel easy as the without a passport, a refugee would have to stay for several weeks in jail while the contrary is true with a valid passport, no jail time.

This is an exception as the refugee would risk being in unwanted situation, essentially stateless which no person would want to be.

Your thoughts on it?

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
The reason I wrote this thread is because countries like Malaysia and Thailand have not signed the Refugee Rights Convention and hence they don't recognize the UNHCR card while regularly arresting refugees and putting them in jails. If a person needs to receive money via Western Union, get a new sim card or avail any service within the country related to identity then the UN card won't function, instead the person would need a valid passport. In this case, a person needs to apply for the passport. Also, the PR visa has not been granted yet.
While applying for the passport won't safeguard from Immigration arrest, it would still make travel easy as the without a passport, a refugee would have to stay for several weeks in jail while the contrary is true with a valid passport, no jail time.

This is an exception as the refugee would risk being in unwanted situation, essentially stateless which no person would want to be.

Your thoughts on it?
If, after receiving the protection of one country from another country of citizenship, a person then reacquires a passport from the persecuting country then that person has re-availed themselves of the protection of that country. Your stateless quandary is relieved just as your protection under the 1951 Convention for Refugees is removed.

Maybe you could set new legal precedent with this situation, or reasonably avoid the circumstance with your foreknowledge - it all helps to keep the lawyers busy if you're up for the risk.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Given you need to be a recognized refugee before you can get a RTD, I don’t see how you could travel to Malaysia or Thailand if they don’t accept RTDs to begin with. You would basically have to enter illegally somehow. Would the situation qualify as an exemption....I doubt it as you are still accepting the protection of your home country.