+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Renew PR before applying for citizenship

Romeo007

Aug 18, 2012
Dears,

I require some advice.

What are the disadvantages of renewing PR and applying for citizenship just after few months of PR renew?

I've been forced to be outside Canada for 1.5 years and 3.5 years remains till my PR is expired.

I know my status is legal but I wanted to ask this question since everything is getting those days to much time to be processed.

In parallel, if I bought a condo or apartment in Canada, will this strength PR renew application??

Regards, 8)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Romeo007 said:
What are the disadvantages of renewing PR and applying for citizenship just after few months of PR renew?
There are no disadvantages.

Romeo007 said:
In parallel, if I bought a condo or apartment in Canada, will this strength PR renew application??
No - this does not strengthen the PR renewal application

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
PR renewal and citizenship are two very different applications processed by different departments and have no effect on each other. You can renew your PR card and then apply for citizenship or you can apply for citizenship and then renew your PR card while you are waiting for it or you could even apply for both at the same time. You can also let your PR card expire and not renew it and still get citizenship. They really have nothing to do with each other.

Having a condo will not strengten your PR renewal application. You could own a condo and not live in it. The key to easy renewal is having more than 730 days in Canada in the past 5 years before you apply and good proof that you were in Canada such as having studied or worked somewhere because that is easily tracable.

If you plan to apply for citizenship, you need 3 years in Canada in the past 4 years before applying.

peoples_champ

Star Member
Jan 19, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon,

This is a great explanation. I am in a similar boat. And per you explanation, I will not get into any hurdle.

Here are my timeline
PR Card and landing: 8 Nov 2008
PR Card expiry date: 15 Dec 2013
Left Canada for USA: 23 Nov 2008
Came back to Canad: 18 Aug 2010

In Canada since then and per the eligibility calculator, I can apply after Oct 2013. I am planning to apply in Nov to be on the safe side, however, I was confused with my PR Card renewal, shall I apply for renewal or shall I not? Also, what negative impact will this have on my citizenship application.