+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Regulations Once Permanent Residence is Granted?

RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi there, my American wife and I have finally managed to get all of our paperwork together and are pretty much ready to send away our spousal sponsorship form! Throughout this process I have been working part time, and just recently was offered a teaching position working abroad. The opportunity is excellent and my wife and I are seriously considering taking it.

We would be leaving in August and living abroad for 2 years should I take the position. My question is; are there any rules/regulations regarding how long my sponsored wife must stay in Canada after Permanent Residence is granted? I have read that a PR must be in Canada for a period of 2 years out of 5. However, we are more curious about what would happen if we were granted PR for my wife in say August, but we then spend the next 2 years abroad. Do we need to make sure that my wife stays in Canada for a certain initial period of time?

We are thinking if there are regulations that we might be better off waiting for our 2nd year of living abroad and sending off our application then, however the fact that we have spent soooo long preparing documents is also giving us itchy feet to get it sent in and accepted!

Any help/experience sharing would be greatly appreciated!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
There's no requirement to remain in Canada after landing. You can land and then leave the same day.

The only complication could be if you leave Canada for the job outside of Canada before your wife's PR status is granted. In that case CIC may request proof that you plan to return and remain in Canada once PR is approved and may deny the application based on the fact you plan to remain outside of Canada for 2 years.

RapsFan905

Mar 16, 2017
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Scylla, thank you for your response. I was thinking that me being abroad (considering I had 'living in Canada' on my application) might make things a bit tricky. In that case, would you recommend waiting until we know when we will be returning to Canada and applying at that point (from abroad)?

Reactions: Janjan1963