+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Register as a freelancer

Shakira94

Jul 14, 2019
Hi,

I’m currently a permanent resident in Canada and have 4 and a half years left to complete my residency obligations. I currently work online on a freelance US-based company called Upwork and earn at least $2,000 every month.

I would like to know how I can register myself as a freelancer so my work counts as official employment. Will registering myself as self-employed come in the way of my residency obligations?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

I’m currently a permanent resident in Canada and have 4 and a half years left to complete my residency obligations. I currently work online on a freelance US-based company called Upwork and earn at least $2,000 every month.

I would like to know how I can register myself as a freelancer so my work counts as official employment. Will registering myself as self-employed come in the way of my residency obligations?

Registering yourself as self-employed won't have any impact on your PR status. The only thing that really matters in terms of your PR status is ensuring you live in Canada for 2 out of every 5 rolling years to meet the residency obligation.

bradleyvdw

Jul 21, 2019
South Africa
Category........
Hi,

Sorry I’m not sure about registering but I do have a question. Do you find that $2000 p/m is enough to live off?