+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

regarding the physical presence calculate

takamasa

Jan 31, 2016
Hi All

I have been doing my calculation. I managed to go through all the steps until the days of obscene. Due to the nature of my job, i have been spending quite a few amount of days outside of canada, could be a day trip , could be a week or so

my question is if i fill in the days of obsense, they ask you to select from which date to which date.
For example, if i depart on may 18, return on may 21. Should I enter may 18 as "from date" and may 21 as "to date"
or may 19 as "from date" and may 20 "to date" because technically i am still in canada on 18 and return on 21 , just that those days i wasn't spending a full day in canada.

It could be a repeated question, but thank you so much for everyone's input, much appreciated.

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
You use May 18 as depart date. May 21 as return date. These according to your question is the days you physically left and entered Canada, regardless if you stayed in Canada part of the day.

Alias

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hi,

You should put the departure date as May 18 and return date as May 21 as these dates have to match with your entry/exit records - either it be a passport stamp or CBSA report.

I think the calculator will count this as 3 days of absence instead of 4 - though I not very sure on this as I did it as per the old 3/5 rule.

Thanks,

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
Alias said:
Hi,

You should put the departure date as May 18 and return date as May 21 as these dates have to match with your entry/exit records - either it be a passport stamp or CBSA report.

I think the calculator will count this as 3 days of absence instead of 4 - though I not very sure on this as I did it as per the old 3/5 rule.

Thanks,
yes the departure date is automatically calculated in the calculator giving +1 day if you compared against the calculation in excel sheet.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
I have not tried it lately, but last I recall the online presence calculator would only count two days absence for an applicant who departed Canada May 18 and returned May 21; any part of the day in Canada now counting as a day present. (Thus, only the 19th and 20th count as absences.) And this is consistent with the current law.

That is different than it was under the old 3/4 rule (no 3/5 rule before, but Bill C-6 proposes a 3/5 rule), pursuant to which CIC would give credit for either the date of departure or date of return, not both. Thus, under the old 3/4 rule (which was a residency requirement, not a requirement based directly on days present), for the applicant who departed May 18 and returned May 21, the online residency calculator would total 3 days absence.

But absolutely, date-from is the date of departure, and date-to is the date of return/arrival in Canada.

Be sure to use actual dates for all trips. One mistake some make is to use a stamp date of arrival in another country, which can be one or two days off depending on whether it is a red-eye over the Atlantic (one day off if based on the stamp), or a red-eye across the Pacific (which depending on actual time of departure and time of arrival can be two days later than the actual date of departure). Best to not rely on passport stamps at all, but to have kept a precise log of all dates of travel, and that means the precise date of departure and the precise date of return-to/arrival-in Canada. Confirm dates against stamps, but do not rely on the stamps alone. Departure date is date of flight, even if the plane sat on the tarmac for hours past midnight. Arrival date is date PoE cleared no matter how much before midnight the plane landed. This is important because discrepancies between what the applicant reports in the presence calculator and what IRCC identifies based on other sources, mostly the CBSA travel history (ICES report) will raise issues . . . this is not a mere risk. Discrepancies between what the applicant reports for travel dates and what IRCC discovers separately are probably the main reason why cases end up non-routine, and being off by more than a few days can lead to significant credibility concerns, which means even a substantial margin may not be enough to get through, or at least get through without a major hassle.