+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Reg. toddler SIN

Simplesim

Star Member
Jul 11, 2015
Hi All,

one of my known landed in Canada on PR On May15th, family of 3 wife husband and 3.5 years old toddler, so when they went to Service Canada to get SIN. Both adults got SIn and they have been told toddlers dont get SIN. Can anyone confirm if toddler gets SIN or when and how can toddler get it please advise

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi All,

one of my known landed in Canada on PR On May15th, family of 3 wife husband and 3.5 years old toddler, so when they went to Service Canada to get SIN. Both adults got SIn and they have been told toddlers dont get SIN. Can anyone confirm if toddler gets SIN or when and how can toddler get it please advise
They don’t

“Children 12 years of age or older may apply for their SIN. Parents, legal guardians or legal representatives can apply for a SIN for children under the age of majority in their province, and for adults in their care.”

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/qualify.html

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
They don’t

“Children 12 years of age or older may apply for their SIN. Parents, legal guardians or legal representatives can apply for a SIN for children under the age of majority in their province, and for adults in their care.”
First, I read and interpret this differently: I believe the first sentence means that children >12 may apply on their own, and the second means that parents may apply for all children. But I admit I can't be certain about this - but see below.

Second, we applied for SIN for daughter <8 years old, she was given one no problem.

So my suggestion to the OP: fill out the forms and apply online or by mail.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Hi All,

Why would a toddler need a SIN? Child labour is illegal in Canada

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Second, we applied for SIN for daughter <8 years old, she was given one no problem.

So my suggestion to the OP: fill out the forms and apply online or by mail.
Agree with recommendation; better to apply than potentially have to have delays later on. My eldest received her SIN when she was <2 after returning (born abroad), and younger soon after birth (born in Canada).

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Agree with recommendation; better to apply than potentially have to have delays later on. My eldest received her SIN when she was <2 after returning (born abroad), and younger soon after birth (born in Canada).
In fact now that I've seen the links about how toddlers are registered more-or-less automatically now for SINs (part of the 'birth package'), I now lean more to the explanation that the Service Canada employee who said "toddlers dont get SIN" was just plain wrong.

Reactions: Tubsmagee