+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Refugees Applying For Citizenship; Issues & Concerns (other than cessation)

rousseau

Jun 27, 2019
Thank you so much for the update. I think I will go with the same route because it seems like it works. I will start working on it in the new year if I don’t hear anything back by then.

how did your interview go? Anything to highlight?
The interview was was 10 minutes, the agent asked about my jobs and family in Canada. The agent made a remark about my expired passport (it has been expired for quite some time), and he asked whether it has been renewed. The answer was NO.

He also talked about my application for mandamus as if is no longer relevant.

Reactions: Mus87

Toronto1971

Dec 23, 2021
Any sign of progress is always a good sign. Especially for applicants currently suffering the bogged down, delayed processing times

The vast majority of qualified citizenship applicants, who truthfully and properly completed the forms and who have otherwise responded to IRCC requests, should have little or nothing to worry about. No need for a "good sign" since there is no reason to anticipate a bad sign.

That includes refugees and otherwise persons who obtained PR as a protected person. As I noted at the beginning of this thread, mostly the process is the same for refugees as it is for any other qualified applicants.

But of course if the applicant is aware there is a potential issue lurking in their particular case, whatever that is, getting to and through the test does not indicate whether that issue is still a potential problem.
May you say me what is going on with my procedure :
-protected person
-Citizenship application received Aug 2020
-AOR January 2021
-background completed Feb2021
-test completed Aug 2021
-physical presence copy passport& translation of stamps Nov2021
still no DM , no letter / email from IRCC
Thanks

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The interview was was 10 minutes, the agent asked about my jobs and family in Canada. The agent made a remark about my expired passport (it has been expired for quite some time), and he asked whether it has been renewed. The answer was NO.

Looks like congratulations are in order.

Odds are high the application for mandamus is moot, and therefore indeed no longer relevant. But if your lawyer says it is still open and to keep it open until the oath, that seems reasonable.

Updates like this are very much appreciated.

May you say me what is going on with my procedure :
-protected person
-Citizenship application received Aug 2020
-AOR January 2021
-background completed Feb2021
-test completed Aug 2021
-physical presence copy passport& translation of stamps Nov2021
still no DM , no letter / email from IRCC
Thanks
This appears to be in line with tens of thousands of citizenship applications pending, most of which do not involve a protected person. Running with the pack, one might say.

See other topics here for more discussion about the processing timeline. I believe there is at least one topic specifically for August 2020 applications.

IRCC has been, to understate it badly, taking its time.

Just out of curiosity, I see a lot posts where people with Hungarian citizenship are able to get approved as protected person. Absolutely nothing against anyone but how is it possible considering that they are also citizens of the EU and can therefore live, work, move, setup a business anywhere in EU?
Also is there some sort of instability in the country that I don't know about?
Thanks
Wrong topic for such a query. This topic is about applying for Canadian citizenship.

NaAzaAn

May 26, 2021

Hello my friend
Did officer ask you to bring original home country passport?

rousseau

Jun 27, 2019
@dpenabill
Maybe, I forget to notify everyone that I became a Canadian citizen in January 2022, so I had to withdraw my Mandamus application since it become moot.

I travelled a few times to the US just to figure out why my application took 2+ years to process. On my first trip back from the US, I was referred to a secondary examination by a CBSA officer. The CBSA border officer asked one question before I even reached his desk and told me that I am good to go. During the secondary examination, I was asked one question which is: whether I was a refugee? the answer is yes.

I went to the US a month or two after and came back the same day I was asked the same question by the CBSA officer but this time I was not referred to secondary examination. The CBSA officer mentioned something about an enforcement flag related to refugee status.

Please note that my entry to the US was smooth, my interaction with the officer lasted a minute or so.