+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

refugee that was sent home

ts23

Apr 4, 2012
hi i applied for refugee in canada and was not successful however they had given me a certain time until i can leave so i decided to get marry and try filing for my papers 2 months after but they told me i have to leave because my wife couldnt file for me while im in the country do you know if i will be successful in getting the papers? a lawyer told me it can take me 6 - 12 months to get my papers

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ts23 said:
hi i applied for refugee in canada and was not successful however they had given me a certain time until i can leave so i decided to get marry and try filing for my papers 2 months after but they told me i have to leave because my wife couldnt file for me while im in the country do you know if i will be successful in getting the papers? a lawyer told me it can take me 6 - 12 months to get my papers
Did your wife already file the sponsorship? Did she apply inland or outland?

If she applied inland, they would usually not kick you out but it complicates things that you already have an order to leave. Leaving when you have applied inland invalidates your application. Outland application would still continue to run. However, if you have an order to leave, you may be in trouble if you don't. If you have a lawyer already, you should be discussing this with him.

The processing time for spousal sponsorship depends on applying inland or outland and if outland depends on the country where it is processed. It also depends on the type of evidence you submit for your relationship. They always look at if they believe the relationship to be genuine or a marriage of convenience for immigration purposes.

ts23

Apr 4, 2012
well i did discuss it with the lawyer and he said it will take 6-12 months ... i am already out of the country but she haven't file yet they didnt lock me up and send me home they just told me i have to leave i left on my own because she cannot file for me while im in the country cause i already signed a document that doesnt validates me to get sponsor from being in the country.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right. In that case, your wife will apply outland. Try to show evidence of your relationship such as how you met and fell in love, photos of the two of you together, emails and chat logs and phone bills from the time such as now that you are apart. It is possible that they will look at your case with a bit of suspicion because your tried to come as a refugee, you were sent home but just before you were sent home, you suddenly get married. They may believe that your marriage was a marriage of convenience for you to get PR. You will have to prove that they are wrong.